Vaginal Infection in women during pregnancy is the most common type of infection. During genital infection, the preggies suffer from the white or brownish and bad smell discharge. This happens because of the existing good bacteria in Vagina get disrupted and imbalanced. However, sometimes there is a discharge that is white, clear, and odor-free but that is caused by the pregnancy hormones which signs that the vagina is healthy and infection-free.
The private part of the pregnant woman remains so sensitive that they easily get affected by any of the unhygienic things. As they get infected easily so they are diagnosed promptly and generally easy for doctors to treat. But many times pregnant women fail to differentiate between the normal discharge and infected discharge and as a result, they don’t get the treatment on time and have to suffer a lot afterward.
Pregnancy is a very crucial time and women should take care of her. Here we are with some of the basic information about the vaginal infection which will help all the preggies to get proper information related to the infection.
There are about four types of Vaginal infection that may occur at any time during pregnancy. Here are the infection names along with signs and symptoms of different infections.
Yeast infection is a type of infection that is usually caused by an overgrowth of Candida which is a type of fungus that naturally lives in the vagina. During pregnancy, the increased level of estrogen and progesterone results in treating yeast infection. Apart from these antibiotics also cause infection. Intercourse during pregnancy can disrupt the natural pH in women’s vagina which results in yeast infection.
Symptoms of Yeast infections
- When you go for a pee it burns like hell and you cannot even tolerate the burn.
- Itching, burning, and pain in the vaginal area.
- The vagina gets red and sometimes swelling is also seen in the Vagina during a yeast infection.
- The whitish-yellow discharge is very thick in nature and sometimes it smells very bad.
- Feel uncomfortable during sex and the sometimes vaginal area feels pain during intercourse.
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
This is not as common as a yeast infection in pregnant women. Approximately 1 in 5 pregnant women suffers from these infections. When in pregnancy the hormones imbalance then the naturally living bacteria in the vagina overgrow and thus this itchy and irritating infection occurs. It is very necessary to treat this infection because if it remains untreated it will result in premature delivery. This infection directly affects the fallopian tubes.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- Itching and burning in the Vagina
- Bad smell during discharge from the vagina.
- Stinky odor while making physical relations.
- Frequent thin, grey-colored discharge
- Pain during urination
- Itching around the vagina
Group B Strep (GBS)
Group B Strep or GBS is a group of bacteria that come and go in the body but often frequent the vagina and rectum. This is a type of infection that can even harm your baby in the womb. However, the risk of infection in babies is low only about 1 to 2 percent. During the last stage of pregnancy, the GBS is tested and if results come positive then antibiotics are given through a needle in a vein (IV antibiotics) to reduce the risk of a GBS infection passing to the baby.
Symptoms of Group B Strep (GBS)
A woman cannot feel so many symptoms that give signs of this type of infection. However, some women experience urinary tract infections due to GBS, which results in painful urination and cloudy urine.
Trichomoniasis infection is a sexually-transmitted disease. It can be treated orally by giving antibiotics, such as Metronidazole and Tinidazole to cure the infection. This infection is transmitted sexually during pregnancy and typically lives in the vagina.
Symptoms of Trichomoniasis
- Itching and burning all the time and especially during sex.
- Women will feel irritation during sex
- The Greenish-yellow, foul-smelling discharge occurs normally and during sex.
Tips to Prevent Vaginal Infection
As this is the most common infection among women. There are some basic prevention guidelines to cure yeast infection. Check out:
- Drink lots of water and if possible take the lemon water if you feel that you have a vaginal infection.
- Always wear loose, cotton underwear.
- Keep your innerwear clean and hygienic.
- Always wipe out the water from the front side after using the washroom. Never wear wet panties.
- Don’t use the scented sprays, hygiene sprays, sanitary pads, scented soap, perfumed or colored toilet paper, and tampons.
- Eat fewer sugar intakes because it increases the growth of yeast infection.
- Take rest as much as you can because it will help the body in fighting the infections.
- Add yogurt to your diet to prevent the infection. Lactobacillus, naturally found in yogurt, is a probiotic which helps to prevent vaginal infections.
- You and your partner both get tested and if the results come positive then you can get it treated before the other one catches it.
- Stick to one partner to decrease your chances of being infected with trich.
- Use a condom to help prevent spreading this infection should you or your partner have it.
If you are feeling the sign and symptoms of vaginal infection for more than 3 days then do consult with doctors and take proper medical treatment instead of getting it treated by home remedies. Pregnancy is a very sensitive time so keep in mind to take care of yourself to avoid vaginal infection.