Pregnancy is the happiest phase in a woman’s life. It’s the most blissful time. But, being in this stage even has its own set of psychological and physiological stresses. It is important for the would-be mothers to follow a pregnancy food chart so that they know and understand that what they are eating is healthy.
Pregnant women are required to eat healthily and take care of their diet and nutrition for themselves and their babies, thus taking special care of the nutritional requirements of both. One also needs a minimum of 350-500 extra calories each day during the second and third trimesters. Thus, it will also make it a lot easier to lose pregnancy weight, after giving birth.
In this article, we shall be discussing all those essential food items that a pregnant woman must have for healthy baby growth and development.
List of Foods to eat when pregnant
A diet that includes all the nutritional requirements might seem difficult, but it largely depends on the choice of food you make. This diet includes all the essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Thus, there are some foods, known as pregnancy superfoods, which you should eat when you are pregnant. Below is the list of the top 5 foods to eat when pregnant. They are as follows: –
- Dairy products-these act as the pregnancy superfoods. During pregnancy, pregnant women are required to consume extra protein and calcium, to meet the essential demands of the growing fetus. This tops the list of the foods to eat when pregnant, in the pregnancy food chart. Dairy products are rich in two types of essential nutrients- casein and whey, rich in high-protein. It is the best source of essential health benefits, as it provides high amounts of phosphorous, vitamin b, magnesium, and zinc. Yogurt is highly recommended by doctors too for pregnant women. This helps to meet them the increased amount of protein and calcium. Probiotics may also help in reducing the risk of complications.
- Legumes- another food, considered as the pregnancy superfoods, is legumes. In the pregnancy food chart, legumes are given huge importance, as they are the excellent plant-based sources of iron, protein, fiber, vitamin b9 and calcium. It is also recommended as one of the foods to eat when pregnant. This group of foods contains other foods too, like lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts. Folate, also known as vitamin b9 is very important for the health of the mother and fetus, especially during the first trimester. Legumes are recommended by doctors too because they contain high amounts of folate, which is almost equal to 65-90% of the Therefore, legumes are also high in iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- Sweet potatoes-another item, considered as pregnancy superfoods, is also one of the foods to eat when pregnant. It is placed third in the list of pregnancy food chart. Sweet potatoes contain the highest amount of beta-carotene, which is actually a plant compound that is converted into vitamin a in our body. Vitamin is extremely important for healthy fetal development. During pregnancy, pregnant women are advised to increase their vitamin intake by approximately 10-40%. They are also advised to avoid high amounts of animal-based sources of vitamin a, as they may cause toxicity if taken in excess. Furthermore, sweet potatoes contain fiber, which increases fullness and improves digestive health as well as mobility.
- Salmon– this food is also one of the important ones, which has also claimed a spot in the pregnancy food chart, as one of the pregnancy superfoods. This is also one of the foods to eat when pregnant because it is rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential during this phase because of the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids DHA and Yet, pregnant women are not allowed to take seafood more than twice a week, due to the mercury and other contaminants found in fatty fish. What makes salmon more important, apart from these is that it is important for many processes in our body, including bone health and immune function.
- Eggs-Next comes to the Eggs, it is one of the most important pregnancy superfoods, which is given high importance in every pregnancy food chart. It is one of the most considered foods to eat when pregnant, as it is the ultimate health food because they contain almost all the essential vitamins one needs. Eggs are a great source of choline. Choline is an essential element for many processes in our body, including brain development and health. Choline intake should be good as if it is taken in a low amount, then it may increase the risk of neural tube defects and possibly lead to decreased brain function in the Thus, whole eggs are incredibly nutritious and a rich source of all essential proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
- Broccoli and Green Vegetables: All the green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, and kale comprises of all the essential nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, fiber, potassium, and iron-folate. These vegetables improve our immune system and digestion. It is helpful in preventing constipation in all pregnant Consumption of leafy vegetables is directly linked with the reduction of the risk of low baby weight during birth. Not only this, green leafy vegetables are rich in antioxidants which is an important part of pregnancy food chart. Broccoli works wonders as it offers a plethora of benefits to a woman’s body like prevention from anemia, regulation from diabetes, improving eyesight and vision, and protection from the sunlight.
Some Final Words
Hence, what one eats during pregnancy, be it pregnancy superfoods, or the normal dietary foods greatly affect your energy and well-being as a whole. Thus, any food in the pregnancy food chart should be rich in nutrients. Therefore, this will ensure a good start towards a healthy well-nourished pregnancy and baby.