At present, novel Coronavirus has become the other name of threat. The first case was reported in the Chinese Wuhan municipality at the end of December 2019. People were having acute respiratory syndrome and it is identified that Coronavirus is causing this situation. However, the situation is getting worse. According to WHO, it has been spread in several countries in Asia and there are more than two thousand cases that have been confirmed globally. It causes real concern for the parents having younger kids since they are the most vulnerable targets to get infected quickly. Before you know how to protect your children from Coronavirus, you should know what it is about. It will help you to take further steps effectively.
What is Coronavirus
We do not know where exactly Coronavirus came from initially. It was first observed in 1960. This time the first case of novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV) was reported in Chinese Wuhan. 2019-nCoV is the newest strain of Coronavirus that has not been observed in a human before this. It has a crown-like shape. This virus spreads through infected people coughing and sneezing or by getting close contact with infected people and areas. Human to human transmission is confirmed but it needs more research to know the exact source of this infection.
What are the symptoms?
If you want to protect your child from Coronavirus infection you must know the symptoms beforehand so that you take safety measures immediately. Without any knowledge of how this virus spreads between people and how to treat them, it can be dangerous. The symptoms of Coronavirus infection is same as other upper respiratory infections including coughing, sneezing, runny nose and sore throat. You may also have a fever sometimes. Initially, it is difficult to distinguish from other cold-causing viruses. People with weaker immune systems can also suffer from pneumonia.
Best tips to protect your children from Coronavirus
According to WHO’s guidelines here we discuss some measures to help the parents safeguard their children from the infection of Coronavirus. It includes—
- Wash hands and keep your children clean: Wash their hands with soap and warm water frequently. Make sure every time that they clean their hands thoroughly. It will be better if you use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer where your children are not able to use soap and water. Parents and caregivers who are in direct contact with the elderly children or people with a weaker immune system should also wash their hands frequently.
- Keep your children away from sick: Always be careful that your children are not getting in touch with such persons who are already sick. Keeping your children away from sick people reduces the chance of getting infected. Try to keep them at home. In case your kids are feeling ill do not allow them to go anywhere out of your houses such as schools or playgrounds.
- Teach your children to be hygienic: It is very important to teach your children how to maintain good hygiene. Tell them to cover their faces with tissues, or their arms or elbows while coughing and sneezing. They should not use their hands. You should aware of them through the used tissues into a covered dustbin. Make sure that they keep their hands away from the nose, ear or mouth.
- Make your home clean and disinfected: You need to clean and disinfect your house properly. Keep those surfaces clean where the children frequently come into contact. You can make them use masks for an instant protection. Since this virus spreads through infected items including doorknobs, shoes or used tissues you must be aware of them. If your children touch any of these infected surfaces, they will easily fall sick. So, keep them clean and make your house disinfected as much as possible.
- Avoid crowded areas: Do not take your kids to any indoor playgrounds, crowded shopping malls or restaurants. If you are on a trip or traveling with your little kids try to cover your face with masks. Avoid unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals, while you are visiting a live animal market. Do not take your kids to such areas experiencing cases of Coronavirus.
- Ensure appropriate food safety: Always follow good food safety and health practice while cooking. It is better to use different chopping boards and knives for raw meats and cooked foods. You should wash your hands properly while dealing with raw meats. In order to avoid infection, cook the eggs and meat thoroughly. Do not let your kids eat any packaged foods.
- Make them have plenty of fluids: Be sure that your kids are having a good amount of fluids. If you observe symptoms like coughing, sneezing, running nose, etc. give your children plenty of liquid foods so that they do not feel a lack of fluids in their body. It is also important for them to take proper rest in case of experiencing such symptoms.
- Ask for medical help: If your children feel unwell immediately take help from a medical practitioner. Give them medicine for sore throat and fever. In case your kids are younger and under 19, then do not go for aspirin. However, use ibuprofen or acetaminophen for a better result. You can also use a humidifier or tell them to have a steamy shower for more comfort.
If you observe such symptoms like sore throat, running nose, fever, etc. in your children neither ignore them nor get panicked. Taking precautions in advance can protect your children from Coronavirus infection. We suggest you follow the above-mentioned tips so that you can be aware of this infection and take care of your children in a better way. According to WHO, the source of the novel Coronavirus is still not identified, so that the vaccine is. So, the only way to protect your children is to practice healthy habits and keep them safe from infections.