Hindu festival Holi welcomes the spring season of the year with colors. This is the festival that brings new beginnings of the year by spreading joy, love, and happiness. We can say that Holi is the most vibrant, enthusiastic and colorful festival in the world. Due to the celebration of Holi with colors, it has become one of the famous festivals around the world.
As we know that Holi is the festival of colors and while playing with the variety of colors we never thinks how they will affect our skin. The joy and happiness of that time restrict our minds to think that the applied color on the skin will go off or not. However, people apply lotion, moisturizer, and oil so that the skin does not get any infection or rashes. These are some of the general precautions which people take to play the Holi.
Skin is the most sensitive part of our body which needs extra care to keep it healthy and free from any type of skin allergy. Along with skin Hairs also need attention while playing with colors. Holi is the festival in which our skin and hairs come in contact with so many colors which can be both toxic and non-toxic. Hence, it is important to take care of it before and after playing Holi. In this article, you will get to know about various ways to protect your skin from colors.
Pre- Holi skin and hair care Tips
Prevention is better than cure and thus you should prepare yourself to play safe Holi. Here are some tips which will give you an idea of protecting your hair and skin from the harmful side effect of colors. Check out:
- The very first to do before playing Holi is to apply lotion, moisturizer or oil to your body. Along with protecting skin from various infections and rashes, it will be also helpful in removing the color stains from the skin easily.
- Do good mustard oil head massage to nourish your hairs and prepare it to fight with the colors.
- If you completely want to protect your hair then cover it from the scarf or bandana in such a way that it cannot loosen while you enjoy colors. This is the best solution to follow to protect your hair.
- You can also apply the waterproof makeup at your face and neck so that colors do not stick at your skin.
- If you want to protect your nails from color then apply a two-three coat of dark nail polish so that colors do not affect your nails.
- You can also use good quality lipstick which stays for a long time. This is beneficial to protect your soft lips to be damaged with color side effects.
- Wear sunglasses to avoid the dark circles as well as protecting eyes from the colors.
- Stay hydrated and drinks lots of water. Lack of water in the body can lead to tanning on the skin along with lowering down your energy levels.
Post- Holi skin and hair care tips
- Don’t stay in wet clothes for a long time because it may lead the skin rashes and irritation. Change the clothes as soon as possible because wet clothes allow the color to enter the skin pores easily which can be harmful.
- This is advised that avoid going under the sun after playing Holi when colors are applied to the skin. The chemical-based colors can absorb deeply in the skin pores and it becomes tough to remove them easily.
- If colors get into your eyes while playing Holi then quickly wash it with cold water. It is advised not to rub the eyes as it may create more irritation to the eyes.
- It is strictly advised that you don’t go to parlor or salon to get any beauty treatment while colors on the skin. The chemical-based products can lead to increase the skin irritation.
- Avoid scrubbing or any type of harsh face wash on the skin.
- If your hairs are also mashed up with colors then it is advised to moisturize your hairs again by giving good massage and taking hair spa.
- After playing Holi apply a good homemade hair mask to nourish your hairs. You can mix olive oil, honey and few drops of lemon juice to make a good hair mask.
- If someone had applied chemicals contain colors on your skin which is unable to remove easily then apply lemon on the stains. This will work as natural bleach which can remove the stains easily.
- After taking bath and removing as possible colors as you can apply moisturizer to your body to get back the moisture in your body which has been lost throughout the day while playing Holi.
- It is advised to put a few drops of rose water in the eyes to give them relax and remove the possibilities of having any type of irritation to the eyes.
Home remedies to remove colors from the skin
The best way to remove the Holi colors from the skin is to use the Home remedies so that your skin does not get any side effects and additional irritation. The natural way to remove the colors is good because it eliminates the possibility of having any further skin problems. Have a look at some of the best home remedies to get rid of Holi colors:
- The best home remedy is to wash the face and body with lukewarm water. This will easily remove the colors as compared to the cold water.
- Make a paste by mixing milk and besan(gram flour) and apply it to the skin. Leave it for 15 minutes and then do massage. It will remove the color as well as nourish the skin along with removing dirt and protecting it from various infections.
- Mix oatmeal, lemon juice, and honey and make a smooth paste. Do massage from this pack with gentle hands to the color affected area and then wash it with lukewarm water. lemon and honey will help to remove the stains and gives you the glowing skin.
- Apply lemon to the skin and leave it for 15-20 minutes. The acidic nature of the lemon will help to remove the skin.
- Papaya paste is also helpful to maintain your skin elasticity after playing Holi.
- Multani Mitti is also a good home remedy to remove the Holi color. Apply it on the face and when it dries do gentle massage and rinse with lukewarm water.
Holi is celebrated with colors, but it is advised to follow all the precautions and safety tips before and after playing Holi. Be safe and healthy on this Holi and also inform your relatives and friends about the Holi skin and hair care tips. Happy Holi to you and your family.