IVF or In Vitro Fertilization technique is a ray of hope for those couples who cannot conceive naturally because of infertility. This technique is also known by the name of the test-tube baby technique. Although it is advised not to go for this technique until there is no other door left for you. One should first try to conceive naturally if that is not possible then you can go for other ways for conceiving. If no method is working for you then you can opt to go for In Vitro Fertilization.
In the midst of several Assisted Reproductive Technologies known as ART to treat infertility, IVF is preferred by most couples and it actually forms over 95% of all ART procedures. This is a procedure of uniting the egg and the sperm in the lab and the embryos are then transferred into the uterus. The growth of the fetus is monitored through ultrasound.
In this technique, first certain injections are given to the female partner to stimulate the growth of multiple eggs. This is done at the beginning of the menstrual cycle. Secondly, the eggs are retrieved through needles via the vagina. Retrieval of eggs is performed under local or general anesthesia. In the third step, which is the fertilization and incubation step, the eggs are mixed with the sperms for fertilization to occur; this is done in vitro (in the lab). During the final step, multiple embryos are transferred into the female uterus.
Who are the best candidates for IVF?
1. Women with blocked or damaged fallopian tubes
2. Problem of ovaries being unable to release eggs
4. Abnormal shape of the uterus
5. Fibroid tumors
6. Exposure to Diethylstilbestrol as a fetus
7. In males low sperm count, motility problems, etc.
8. Unexplained infertility
There are certain things about the IVF procedure that generally people do not know and usually, doctors forget to mention. Some of them listed below may be helpful to you:
- Always keep all your medicines in the refrigerator.
- The procedure involves injecting a needle inside your stomach. This can make your stomach bloated. You should be prepared with medicines to avoid that to happen.
- Patients undergoing this procedure generally feel tired after the entire procedure. Energy drinks and capsules could be of great help.
- Drinking lots of water during hormonal stimulation helps a lot; especially those women having many follicles are advised to do so.
Lupron also makes a woman quite aggressive and irritating. This may be due to hormonal changes taking place inside.