The HCG diet was first envisioned by ATW Simeons a British endocrinologist, the report of which was published in 1954. This diet proposes a plan that helps lose half to one pound a day and the maintenance of weight.
What is HCG Diet Plan
HCG stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, a hormone produced in the placenta of pregnant women. Dr. Simeons believed that this hormone can help combat obesity and maintain weight, while augmented with a very low-calorie diet (VLCD) amounting to 500 calories. The HCG, for the diet protocol, is synthetically prepared. Blood tests and a general check-up are required, prior to starting the diet protocol.
Related: Crash And Quick Results Diet Plan
- 125 IU of HCG is administered daily from the beginning of the treatment up to 23 days
- There needs to be a maximum content in the fat cells of the body that needs to be filled completely at the beginning (up to the third injection). So for the first two days, the person is fed a lot of fatty foods
- Once the third injection is given you have to follow the 500 calorie diet, until three days after the last injection
- In the next three weeks, all food types can be eaten barring sugar and starch in all their forms (fruits that are very sweet, like mango, should also be avoided)
- After this, introduce starch gradually into the diet, while monitoring the weight
Details of the 500 calorie diet should be explained to the person who will prepare the meal for you, after the second day of injection.
Related: The Benefits Of Raw Food Diet
Related: Diet Food Calorie Planner
Sample Vegetarian diet
Breakfast Tea or coffee using only half an ounce of milk (per day) without sugar. Sugar substitutes may be used.
Lunch and dinner: (1) Four ounces of cooked quinoa or equivalent (2) One serving of one vegetable (from a choice of green leafy vegetables, cucumbers, onions, cabbage, tomatoes) (3) one apple, half a grapefruit, one orange or 5-10 strawberries.
Sample Non-vegetarian diet
Breakfast: Same as in vegetarian diet
Lunch and dinner: (1) 100 grams of fatless meat like beef, chicken breast, veal, lobster, or shrimp, grilled or boiled without using fat; predatory fish like tuna, salmon should be avoided (2) One serving of one vegetable (from a choice of green leafy vegetables, cucumbers, onions, cabbage, tomatoes) (3) one toast or one breadstick (4) one apple, half a grapefruit, one orange or 5-10 strawberries.
Related: The Acai Berry Diet
Other aspects: Foods may be seasoned with garlic, mustard, pepper, and basil, without using oil. Lime juice (juice of one lime) is allowed once every day. Mineral water, tea, and coffee can be taken any number of times throughout the day.
The items listed may be taken at mealtime or in-between as snacks. But nothing more, than what is listed should be eaten. Medicines and cosmetics should be avoided during the protocol.
Advantages Of HCG diet plan
- Followers of the HCG diet have experienced a regular loss of weight without feeling fatigued or other contraindications of health upsets
- The fat that is lost is not believed to deprive you of essential nutrients
Related: Diet Followed By Celebrities
Related: Glycemic Index Or GI Diet Plan
Disadvantages of HCG Diet plan
- The US Food and Drug Administration does not endorse the diet as viable as no studies have proven its benefits and opting for it is left to the discretion of the persons interested
- The deprivation of essential nutrients by following this diet may cause complications later in life because of the extreme changes in calorie intake
HCG stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, a hormone produced in the placenta of pregnant women. The HCG diet protocol includes injections of the hormone (synthetically prepared) augmented by a very low-calorie diet. There are different opinions regarding the efficacy and health benefits of the HCG diet. However, most people who follow the protocol claim to lose about half to one pound every day.