Are you worried about the frequent choking problem in your baby? Do you want the solution or effective remedies for choking? If yes then read the full article to know how to prevent the choking hazards in babies.
The choking problem in babies is very common and it occurs when some object like toys, food or any other thing blocked the airway of throat or windpipe. However, it is common but sometimes babies die because of serious choking. So, as a parent, it is our duty to take care of the babies and keep an eye on them that they don’t put every small thing in their mouth.
Common causes of Choking
As we all know that anything when choking the throat of babies then it causes the choking problem in babies. Sometimes babies try to eat fast or they eat the food without chewing then it blocks the throat to pass the airways. The same situation happens when babies put objects and toys into their mouths.
Apart from taking something in their mouth, sometimes health conditions also increase the risk of choking. It is observed that babies who have swallowing disorders, neuromuscular disorders, developmental delays, and traumatic brain injuries have a higher risk of choking in children.
Types of choking
Choking is a serious problem but sometimes it can be cured at home depending on the types of chocking. The choking can be of two types mild or severe.
Mild choking: The mild choking is the normal reaction of babies when something stuck in their throat. The babies can make sound or they start to cough loudly. During mild choking, you should not stop the babies from coughing. let them cough and sit by their side to see that they are breathing properly.
Severe choking: During severe choking, the babies stop making a sound while coughing. In the severe choking, you should act quickly and get out the object so that the baby can breathe properly.
Symptoms of Choking
There are some common symptoms of choking which can give you an idea that your baby has swallowed something which has blocked his throat airways. Some basic signs are:
- The color of skin, lip, and eyes becomes blue. The face will turn pale.
- The baby feels difficulty in breathing and the ribs and chest were pull inwards.
- If the blockage is not cleared immediately then the baby will lose his consciousness.
- Baby will not able to make any sound and even he will not able to cry.
- You will feel very week and ineffective coughing.
- When the baby will inhale you will feel very soft or high-pitched sound.
Tips to prevent choking
Choking can happen at any time and with anything, but we can help our babies by taking care of some of the basic things. Parent’s little concern about small things can prevent the babies from severe choking. Check out some of the effective tips to eliminate the possibility of infant choking:
Solid foods: It is very important to know which is the best time to introduce solid foods to your baby. Some parents start to feed the solids very early when the babies are not able to chew foods. The babies swallow the food directly because of underdeveloped motor skills of eating foods which can lead to the risk of choking in babies. It is better than you feed your baby the liquid or the pureed solid foods until he learns how to chew and swallow the eating properly.
Avoid high-risk foods: There are some high-risk foods which can cause a choking problem in babies. It is better to avoid such foods so that your baby doesn’t have to face the blocked throat problems. The foods like hot dogs, meat, cheese, popcorn, nuts or seeds, hard or raw fruits and vegetables, seeds, round candies, grapes, marshmallows and chewing gum, peanut butter and many other such types of foods. If you want to give these foods then cut them into small pieces or make their puree so that your baby swallows it easily without any choking hazards.
Sit and eat: There are many parents who make their babies habitual of play and eat. This is not a good habit because while playing a child can never chew and swallow the food properly. Some parents even throw the food directly in the baby’s mouth to make the mealtime interesting but this can also cause the risk of direct blockage of the throat. Make habit of your child to sit and eat the food by chewing it properly to avoid the choking problem in babies.
Toys: After food, toys are the thing which can block the throat. Smartly purchase the toys for your baby which cannot be swallowed easily. Avoid small balls, marbles, small cars, small toys, etc. Apart from toys, you should also avoid the latex balloons because if it is broken then babies can take it in their mouth. So, to avoid choking from toys, one should buy the toys according to its age guidelines and with safety purpose.
Avoid other choking hazards: As the baby grows, he wants to explore the environment and takes every new thing in their mouth. For their safety, it is our duty to keeps the household choking hazards out of reach from babies. Some of the common choking objects are Coins, Safety pins, Paper clips, Marbles, Beads, batteries, button, dice, pen cups, small pencils, rubber, etc.
Care the mealtime: Keep an eye on your child while he is taking his meal so that you can restrict him if he is not eating properly.
Broken toys: Remove the broken toys from his playing kinds of stuff so that your baby doesn’t take it in his mouth.
Basic First Aid tips for choking
- This is not possible that immediately you take your baby to the hospital so there are some guidelines which will help in letting you know that what you can do if your baby is suffering from choking. Check out:
- As soon as you realize that your baby has choked something in his throat then holds your baby lying his face down along your forearm with his head lower than his body and his back and head supported.
- Give the five blows from your hand between the baby’s shoulder blades. This is a more effective way to cure the choking.
- If something is visible in babies mouth and can be easily removable then only remove it otherwise don’t try because it may push the things further into the throat.
- If your baby is unable to breathe then give him the chest thrusts which is very beneficial.
Tips for chest thrusts
- Place your fingertips in the center of the chest on the breastbone and push inwards and upwards towards the baby’s head against the breastbone.
- Try to dislodge the obstruction in the throat with each thrust.
- Keeps checking while you are chest thrusting, that the obstruction is removed or not.
- If your baby is not responding after the chest thrust also then do CPR until you reached the doctor.
- Call someone for help when your baby is choked so that you will get help and support.
Thing to avoid
- If your baby is coughing then don’t stop him because this is the best way to remove the stucked obstruction from his throat.
- Avoid any type of choking efforts if your baby is coughing, breathing or crying forcefully. Take him to the doctors.
- Don’t try to remove the objects from hands otherwise, it will be pushed more to the throat and will result in more worsen.
- If your baby is suffering from asthma or any type of infection then don’t do the back blow and chest thrust and CPR because it may affect the breathing process which can even result in infant death.