Hey, you all new parents; Are you worried because your baby spitting up the milk? Don’t worry; this is a very normal and common thing which is done by almost all the babies. The spitting up the milk is known as gastroesophageal reflux, infant reflux or infant acid reflux. This happens because of the muscle between the esophagus and the stomach which is known as a lower esophageal sphincter. As this sphincter is not so much mature in babies so they flow back the milk in the throat and thus it comes out from the mouth.
The spitting up of the milk generally happens till 6 months of age as the muscles were in growing process till these months. Generally, this happens in newborns and the babies below 6 months of age. Rarely does it extend to 12 months ago? This is normal and even the doctors said it normal and use the phrase “happy spitter” for the babies who spit the milk frequently.
Apart from the lower esophageal sphincter reason, there are several other reasons which can be the cause of throwing out the milk. Have a look at other reasons:
- Air Swallow: Mostly babies feed when they are fully hungry. While they have an empty stomach so they suck very quickly and as a result, they also gulp the air inside which afterward makes the baby throw out the milk along with the air.
- Overdrinking: There are many cases where the baby keeps continuing to latch even if they are not hungry. The baby’s tummy is so small and they can’t hold the extra milk in it so they throw out the extra milk. As a mother, it is your duty to know how much amount of milk your baby wants.
- Active play: As our babies are too small and we know that their digestive system is not properly grown-up. So don’t let them play very active so that the milk will come out. Many times we play with babies doing them up and down because they also enjoy. But don’t do these things just after feeding him. Let him take rest as the play by his own.
- Oversupply of breast milk: If your breasts have excessive milk then babies will consume much milk. The Overflowing of milk will not allow them to feed properly and slowly. This will also become the reason for the spit up of milk.
Spitting and Vomiting are different
Many parents think that vomiting and spitting is the same thing. There are many cases where parents took the baby to the doctor because their bay spiting up the milk and they thought that their baby is suffering from vomiting after every feed. Let us inform you of the difference in both of them. Actually, the Vomiting is a forceful throwing out of the stomach things from the mouth. The vomiting creates contractions in the stomach. On the other hand, Spitting up is the easy flow of the things and throw out a very small amount of milk. The vomiting will make your baby restless and uncomfortable. And the throwing out of the milk never distresses your baby or makes him uncomfortable.
Tips to cure Spitting in Babies
- Burp: Burping in babies after feeding is very necessary. The burp expelled the air out which had gone inside during feeding time. You can make burp your baby during the feeding time also.
- Sleeping on back: Don’t let your baby sleep on her tummy because the milk can come out in large quantity and can also become the reason for the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). This is not only the advice to apply after a feed but always let your baby sleep on his back.
- Keep in the upright position: keep your baby in the upright position means head on your shoulder. This will help in the better digestion of consumed milk. These will also help in avoiding the play.
- Swings: Don’t swing your baby after feeding because it may cause the milk to come out in large quantity which can irritate your baby. Sometimes babies start hating the swings because they had spat their meal after sitting in the swing.
- Improve your Diet: Ask your doctor for the foods which can cause be the reason for spitting milk in babies. You can do experiments with your diet to avoid the situation. It is not sure that your diet will cure the spitting but you will surely experience some of the positive results.
Spitting up the milk is normal but in many cases, it has also proved diseases. So, if you feel that the spat milk is not looking normal then start its treatment. There are some of the factors which we had pointed out for you so that you can understand that which type of spitting is not normal. Check out:
- If you notice that your baby is not gaining its weight properly then talks to your doctor for the treatment if it is needed.
- Always keep in mind that the forcefully spitting is vomiting. It cannot be considered a good symptom of digestion
- If the baby spits up the green or yellow fluids.
- If there is blood in his thrown out milk or you some reddish content in the spat fluid.
- If the baby is having the sign of breathing during spitting up the milk.
- Spitting is a process which starts as the babies were born. If the babies have started to throw out the milk from 6 months of age then talk to your doctor and get the reason.
- If babies cry after every time he spit the milk then might he is having some problem in the throat and so he is giving you the discomfort signs.