If a supplement can keep your heart healthy by helping prevent stroke, heart attacks, and cardiac arrest, reduces cholesterol, supports your immune system while keeping your blood pressure normal, prevents thrombosis, reduces inflammation, and helps manage diabetes, then it is crucial you consume it every day.
That is how Omega-3 fatty acids nourish your body. The other benefits derived from this wonder supplement are
- Raises HDL and lowers triglycerides levels
- Improves mental faculties
- Helps strengthen the nervous system in children
- Helps manage arthritis by its anti-inflammatory property
- Improves muscle function
- Helps in many other bodily functions like digestion, cell division, fertility, growth, movement of nutrients from and to the cell, and blood clotting
- Intake is believed to help both mother and child during pregnancy
What are Omega-3 fatty acids?
They are a group of poly unsaturated fatty acids (PUFA). They are also called n-3 poly unsaturated fatty acids. The three important fatty acids are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and ALA (alpha-linolenic acid)
|Name of Omega-3 Fatty Acid||Source|
|EPA||Fish oil, mackerel, herring, tuna, salmon|
|DHA||Algae, fish oil, mackerel, herring, tuna, salmon,|
|ALA||Soybean oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, beans, and green leafy vegetables|
Dietary sources for Omega-3 fatty acids are flaxseed oil, walnut oil, and fish oil. Omega-3 supplements are also available in the form of oils and pills. The normal dose of the supplement, for an adult, is about three grams every day. For higher dosage, you should consult a physician.
Omega-3 supplements are very necessary because they are not manufactured by the human body. The benefits they provide are huge both for healthy people and for those with ailments. With the right medical advice, these nutrients make you a stronger and healthier person with a fortified immune system.
Studies (acknowledged by the Fodd and Drug Administration) have indicated beneficial effects on patients suffering from
· Manic depression
· Inflammatory bowel disease
· Crohn’s Disease,
· Colitis with ulcer
· Colon cancer
· Renal disease
· Bipolar disease
Another important reason why Omega supplements are necessary is that most of the sources are marine life. There may be instances when the plants or seafood you eat is contaminated (it may contain harmful levels of mercury or pesticides, besides other contaminants of the environment) and upsets your health in several ways. Consuming them in a hygienic, convenient form of supplement provides you the health benefits without causing problems due to contaminants.
Related: How Important Is Iron For Children
Also, you would not know how many milligrams of nutrients you will eat with one serving of the Omega-3 oil-rich food whereas the label on the supplements will tell you that.
Omega-3 fatty acid supplements are very important for everyone because of four main reasons.
1. The several health benefits they offer healthy people
2. The several ways in which they help reduce symptoms in chronic, painful, and serious ailments
3. These nutrients are not manufactured in the human body and have to be consumed
4. Supplements are better than sea and plant food because they are free of contaminants
Omega-3 fatty acid supplements benefit humans in hundreds of ways as authentic studies have shown. Supplements are much better than taking natural foods as the latter may be contaminated by pollutants from the environment and pesticides. Omega-3 fatty acids provide an overall health benefit, both to healthy people and those suffering from various health disorders. The general dose of the supplement for an adult is 3 mg per day.