For many women, pregnancy has become a sort of complication today. But, it is also a part of human life. Doctors suggest exercising, even during pregnancy. But, doing certain exercises, without proper guidance too, may cause fatal problems. Thus, the best way out there is to indulge in some pregnancy yoga exercises as well as pregnancy yoga poses, which in turn would really prove beneficial as yoga for expecting mothers.
Yoga is the ancient form of exercise, which has immensely contributed to the busy lives of peoples, that too, in the most natural and trusted way since years. Yoga is the epitome of flexibility and stability and helps in maintaining the metabolism of the body. Yoga postures improve the respiration, vitality, and stability of a woman’s body. The basic technique of meditation in yoga reduces stress, tension, and hypertension and relaxes the human mind.
Hence, In this article, there are some effective pregnancy yoga poses and exercises for the would-be mothers that will surely help them in maintaining a balanced body and mind.
- Vakrasana (Twisted Pose): This is the first pose in yoga for expecting mothers. To do this, follow the given steps closely:
- Sit erect with the feet stretched.
- Inhale and raise the arms, palms facing down.
- As you exhale, twist your body from the waist to the other side.
- Inhale and again come back to the center
- Repeat on the other side.
There are many benefits of this pregnancy yoga poses as it helps in massaging the spine, legs, hands, neck, along with a gentle massage to the abdominal organs too.
- Utkatasana (Chair Pose): This is the second pose in the yoga for expecting mothers. To do this, follow the given steps closely:
- Stand erect with feet at 12 inches apart and keep them parallel to each other.
- Inhale and simultaneously raise your heels and arms at shoulder level, palms facing down.
- Breathe out and sit in a squat pose on your toes. If this seems quite difficult, then keep your feet flat.
- Keep your hands in the same position, inhale, get up and stand on your toes again.
- Exhale, with both hands and heels down at the same time.
This asana is helpful in both pregnancy yoga poses as well as pregnancy yoga exercises, as it helps in strengthening thigh and pelvic muscles.
- Konasana (Angle Pose): This is also a beneficial pose in yoga for expecting mothers. To do this, follow the given steps closely:
- Stand erect with feet 24 inches apart.
- Raise your hands up, keeping elbow straight. While inhaling, keep a nice upward stretch, as you bend side-wards towards the left.
- Exhale and return to your original position, and repeat the same on the other side.
This pregnancy yoga pose is beneficial as it helps in maintaining the flexibility of the waist and keeps the fat around this region in control.
- Paryankasana (Ham’s Pose With One Leg): This is another effective post in yoga for expecting mothers. To do this, follow the given steps closely:
- Lie down on your back. Then straighten your legs and keep your knees together.
- Fold your right leg in the knee and breathe.
- Hold this position as long as you are comfortable in this. Straighten the leg.
- Repeat with the left leg.
This pregnancy yoga exercise strengthens the abdominal, pelvic as well as the thigh muscles.
- Panangustasana (Extended Hand To Big Tow Pose)-Another beneficial pose in yoga for expecting mothers. To do this, follow the given steps closely:
- Lie down on your back and straighten the legs.
- Your hands should be in T-position, palms facing down.
- Just slide your right leg near the right side. Hold your toe with the right hand, if possible you can.
- Come back to the original position by sliding your legs.
- Repeat the same on the left side.
This pregnancy yoga poses helps to strengthen thigh and pelvic muscles too.
- Bhadrasana (butterfly pose)- This pregnancy yoga exercise helps to strengthen the inner thighs and pelvic region. The steps for the same are-
- Sit on the mat with legs stretched.
- Keeping the legs in contact with the mat, bring both your feet together.
- Sit straight, without leaning forward, place your hands on the thighs or knees, as you feel comfortable.
- Straighten your legs and repeat the same again.
This posture helps in efficient functioning of urinary bladder and large intestine.
- Parvatasana (mountain pose)- This pregnancy yoga exercise is also effective for would-be Follow the steps as given below-
- Stand straight on the mat, with feet hip-width
- Inhale and slide your hands up, and join both the palms and form “Namaste”.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then bring the hands together at your side, with palms facing upwards.
- Repeat 3-4 times.
This asana helps in improving body posture and giving relief from backaches.
- Yastikasana (stick pose)- This pregnancy yoga exercise is the last of all the important asanas, but still effective. The steps are-
- Lie down on your back and straighten the legs. Keep the body in one line, with knees and feet together.
- Feet pointing upwards and hands resting gently on the sides, inhale, raise your hands, and stretch upwards.
- Exhale, raise your hands and come back to the normal position.
- Repeat 4-5 times.
This helps in improving the posture, by providing a great stretch and relieving tension.
Some Final Words
Therefore, Yoga is the essence of happy, healthier and fruitful childbirth. It is the magical force that brings peace within the mind of pregnant women and makes her physically and mentally fit. Thus, these pregnancy yoga poses are really effective and beneficial in the yoga for expecting mothers, so that they don’t gain weight post-delivery. These postures can work wonders and can help in removing stretch marks, maintaining the menstrual cycle and the bone density.