Work is the topmost priority of people in their 20’s and 30’s as they are initial years that plan your whole future. During the work developments, we often decide to give a break to family matters and relationship. By the time you are free from work tension you turn in your 40’s and wish to conceive.
Pregnancy at 40 is not as complicated as it is assumed to be but pregnancy at an older age requires more care and patience.
There is more chance of pregnancy if you are in your early 40’s because in the mid 40’s the quality of eggs decreases.
Advantages of pregnancy at 40
Everyone around you is concerned about the age factor is pregnancy and complications in pregnancy at 40 but despite the decrease in the number of eggs produced there are advantages of pregnancy at an older age.
- Financially up to the mark:
The greatest advantage of pregnancy is that you are financially very stable. Your career has already established to the desired level and therefore you can focus completely on the upbringing of the child.
- Positive environment:
Just for once forget about all the complications in pregnancy at 40 and realize that your child will grow up in a very positive environment.
It is seen that young parents fight a lot which affects the child’s mine adversely whereas when it comes to pregnancy at 40 you have already spend a lot of time with your life partner and therefore you understand each other very well and can contribute in raising the child together.
- Decision making:
Decision making is a very essential point when it comes to raising a child and being a mature person who has all the ups and downs in your lifetime you are capable enough to take the best decisions for your child.
Disadvantages of pregnancy at an older age:
There are a lot of complications in pregnancy at 40 and therefore it is important for you to be very careful in the sensitive phase.
The following health problems might be associated with pregnancy at 40.
- No of health diseases such as gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, placental abruption, high blood pressure might come along with the pregnancy at an older age which adversely affects both child and the mother.
- The main issues in the ’40s are irregular periods and fertility disorders. In such a case you should consult a specialist like a gynaecologist for menstrual disorders and go to a fertility specialist to know about the fertility issues.
- Complications in pregnancy at 40 may also include, low birth weight of the baby, awkward position of the baby and premature birth that again might be or might not be an issue for the child but definitely is a reason for mothers deteriorated health.
Tips to increase your chances of getting pregnant at 40:
For doing the above mentioned it’s important that you have a healthy lifestyle, it is the motto of removing complications in pregnancy at 40.
- Have an expert opinion like that of a gynaecologist:
- The doctor will diagnose your fertility conditions properly with a different test that puta you in a better position as you know everything you need to know.
- The doctor acts as a guide and advises you about the correct choices to increase fertility.
- Pap smear and pelvic exam are conducted to examine your position which hardly takes 15-20 minutes.
- Focus on the chances of conceiving naturally and freely discuss with the doctor about your past medical history.
- Also, check with the doctor in case you are taking some medicines whether or not they should be continued for conceiving.
- The doctor could recommend you to take vaccinations against chicken pox and other harmful diseases.
- Exiting health problems:
- Complex health problems should be treated before pregnancy if you have any.
- Go for exercising and eat nutritious food in case you are overweight and try to reduce your weight.
- If you have high blood pressure or thyroid diseases make sure you take proper medication for such chronic diseases.
- Be open about sexually transmitted diseases if you facing one get proper treatment for it beforehand.
- If you have hypothyroidism the doctor would advise you take a blood test, if its level is low then you are ready for pregnancy although the periodic test is necessary.
- Lifestyle and health
- For pregnancy at an older age, it is important to have a positive attitude towards life.
- The habits of smoking and drinking adversely affect fertility; therefore, you need to quit them.
- Yoga, cycling, swimming, jogging or walking would help you to reduce your daily unnecessary stress.
- It’s necessary to get plenty of sleep because sufficient rest could decrease harmful chemicals from your body.
- Have a proper diet plan; include fresh vegetables, fruits, whole. Grains and citrus food in your diet. For protein, you can intake eggs or dairy products.
- Fertility treatments:
- There are a lot of complications in pregnancy at 40 and, therefore, you might not also be able to conceive at an older age. In such a case, you go for drugs or fertility treatment that boosts the change of pregnancy at 40.
- The doctor might suggest you clomiphene or clomiphene citrate. That increases the rate of ovulation but at the same time increase the chances of multiple pregnancies.
- The doctor might suggest you hormonal injections such as Human Chorionic Gonadotropin that increase fertility rate. But again such treatment increases the chances of multiple babies.
- For damage to the reproductive system, the doctor might suggest surgery after which there are more chances that you conceive.
- Other measures:
Other measures for increasing fertility include maintaining accurate body weight or consider donor eggs.
Thus it seems that there definitely are complications in pregnancy at 40 and you have to take great care of yourself but it’s not impossible. If you take the desired treatment. Pregnancy at an older age or pregnancy at 40 is sometimes as smooth and good as pregnancies at an early age so don’t worry.