The Pneumonia is a very common but serious disease which normally attacks newborns, infants and toddlers. In Pneumonia various types of bacteria and viruses attack the respiratory system and either one or both the lungs of the body get infected. The virus and bacteria go in the lungs through the air and fill up the lungs with pus and other fluids. This unwanted fluid makes it hard for oxygen to reach the bloodstream.
The Pneumonia can develop in babies after flu, cold or fever in any season. Mostly pneumonia happens in winter or in changing the climate. This disease has been proved dangerous not only in kids but in adults too. There are many cases where infants and even adults have died because of pneumonia. There can be many causes of having pneumonia like:
- A premature baby is having a high risk of having pneumonia because of underdeveloped body parts and the immune system.
- A viral infection like cold or influenza can cause pneumonia.
- Smoking near babies is not good for the lungs and it spread bacteria and virus to internal body parts.
- If a baby is hospitalized then there is a chance of having this virus attacks.
- A baby suffering from cough problem can lead to pneumonia.
Symptoms of Pneumonia in babies
The symptoms of Pneumonia are different in all the person which depends on the age and type of pneumonia. However, all age group children have approximately the same types of symptoms. It can differ in terms that how the babies are reacting to it. Have a look at the symptoms:
- The baby breathes fast as compare to other days.
- There is a sound of grunting and wheezing while breathing.
- High fever
- Excess cough
- The stuffy nose and the body shaking with cold.
- Sometimes babies suffer from the vomiting also.
- There is a pain in the chest.
- During pneumonia, the child has to breathe hard due to excess cough so they can suffer from abdominal pain.
- Lack of interest in playing and any activity.
- The kids show no interest in eating foods or feeding.
- If pneumonia’s level has increased then you will see the changing colour of lips and fingernails.
How to treat Pneumonia?
If you think that you are having pneumonia then it is very important to give your baby the best and effective treatment so that he should not have to suffer a lot. You can get an idea from the symptoms that whether your baby has pneumonia or not. But to confirm you can do the chest X-ray or blood test of your baby as directed by your doctor. After that, you can start with some of the best treatment to cure pneumonia quickly. Check out the effective treatment for pneumonia:
Medical treatment for pneumonia in babies
If the pneumonia is in its first stage then it can be treated at home. However, severe pneumonia needed to admit in the hospital. The doctors normally give medicines and another treatment method to handle pneumonia. Some of the medical treatments are:
- Pneumonia is usually treated with antibiotics. The way of the antibiotics are given is determined by the severity and cause of pneumonia. This can be given as tablets or liquids.
- The pain-relieving medicines are provided to babies to control their chest and abdominal pain.
- Usually, paracetamol is given to babies and toddlers to reduce fever.
- If the condition is serious then the Antibiotics is given intravenously means via a drip into a vein.
- Oxygen Therapy is done to provide the needed oxygen in the body. Severe Pneumonia lower down the oxygen level in the body.
- The Intravenous fluids like glucose to maintain the water level and energy of the body. It is also used if the person is too unwell to eat or drink
- The Physiotherapy is done to help in clearing the sputum from the lungs.
Home remedies to cure Pneumonia in babies
The very first home remedy to treat pneumonia is proper rest and proper diet. Your kids might not want to eat anything but try to make him eat to boost up the energy. Along with proper diet, children also need to take proper rest. Try to busy them in indoor things rather than the outdoor activities for some days. There are many other home remedies which can prove effective if you will apply them on babies in the early stage of pneumonia. Check out:
- Herbal Tea: Prepare a herbal tea with the combination of Peppermint, eucalyptus and fenugreek. It had been researched that peppermint and eucalyptus help on the throat of people with upper respiratory tract infections. On the other hand, Fenugreek seed is beneficial in breaking down the mucus and reduce the high fever temperature.
- Gargle with saltwater: Take a glass of lukewarm salt water and tell your baby to gargle with the water. It helps to eliminate mucus or germs in the throat which is very irritating.
- Inhaling therapy: Inhaling the warm damp air helps in the better breath. It also helps in eliminating the cough and pus in the lungs. This is one of the best remedies for babies who are having a cough.
- Ginger and turmeric: The combination of ginger and turmeric helps in relieving the chest pain. Boil both the ingredient properly and then strain it to have a cup of warm beverage for your child. Both the ingredients have a natural anti-inflammatory effect in the body.
- Massage: Give your baby a warm massage of mustard oil. This helps in reducing the cough from the chest. Boil the mustard oil by adding 2-3 garlic pieces in it. make it lukewarm and massage your baby’s chest, palms, back and feet. swaddle your baby for some time for effective results.