In the battle to lose weight, there are many dietary dos and don’ts to be followed. There are many natural foods credited with miraculous properties in aiding weight loss. Bottle gourd is one of the vegetables actively prescribed in Ayurveda to cut down flab.
The bottle gourd is a common vegetable that grows in India and some other countries. It is yellowish-green and has the shape of a bottle. It has white pulp, with white seeds embedded in its spongy flesh.
Related: Fasting For Weight Loss
Some of the reasons why bottle gourd is prescribed in weight-loss diets:
Bottle gourd is 96.1 % water and is very light on the stomach. 100 grams of Bottle gourd contains just 12 calories since it has virtually no fat content. Bottle gourd contains Vitamins C and B as also iron, potassium, and sodium. It is an excellent supplement if taken in the form of a juice. It contains higher concentrations of Dietary Fiber, plus Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Protein, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Selenium.
Related: Weight Loss Improves Knee Pain
The following table shows the nutritive value of bottle gourd
Minerals and Vitamins
|Moisture – 96.1%||Calcium – 20 mg|
|Protein – 0.2%||Phosphorus – 10 mg|
|Fat – 0.1%||Iron – 0.7 mg|
|Fibre – 0.6%||The small amount of Vitamin B Complex|
|Minerals – 0.5%||* Values per 100 gm’s edible portion|
|Carbohydrates – 2.5%||Calorific Value – 12|
Related: Easy and Effective Weight Loss
Health Benefits of Bottle gourd
- Bottle gourd contains a lot of fiber. One can boil and make soup and gives a full feeling, thus assuaging hunger pangs. The fiber content in the vegetable aids a clean stomach.
- Another cause of NO proper sleep may obesity. In Ayurveda, bottle gourd is credited with cooling and cleansing properties.
- Bottle gourd is a diuretic and causes excess water retained in the body to be flushed away.
- Botte gourd helps in liver function and aid in melting accumulated fat.
Related: Perfect Weight Loss Plans
Cooking bottle gourd
- Bottle gourd should be steamed lightly and never overcooked. Overcooking this vegetable causes it to lose most of the nutrients. Bottle gourd by itself is fleshy but has a very mild taste. It is easy to cook it with other vegetables as it blends well and absorbs the flavors of spices well.
- Bottle gourd juice
- Bottle gourd juice taken on an empty stomach aids in weight loss. A recipe for the same is given below:
- Bottle gourd – 250 gm or a small one
- Mint leaves – 5
- Salt to taste
- Jeera powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
Related: How To Weight Yourself Accurately
- Peel bottle gourd and wash, cut mint leaves
- Mix in mixture
- Add water (little)
- Add jeera, pepper powder, and salt. Stir Well