Holi is the festival of colors that brings the family together to enjoy its joy and spread happiness, love, and bonding between relatives and friends. It is a spiritual festival that is celebrated every year in spring. Colors, pichkaaris, masks, water balloons, and delicious dishes for the celebration of Holi.
But some people are very worried about this auspicious day and they are the parents. However, Holi is a colorful festival of happiness but if it is not celebrated with safety tips then it can become a dangerous festival.
Children are unaware of the things that can affect their skin and health. They are excited to play colors and buy varieties of water guns and other Holi-related things. This is the major responsibility of parents to properly take care of their kids so the celebration does not get interrupted with any harm to your baby. Ask your baby to play safe with the colors and you as a parent keep an eye on them so that they do not get any harm.
How Color Can Affect The Kid’s Skin
It is very important to know how the Holi festival can be turned into a dangerous moment. This is one of the popular festivals of India and almost all age groups want to enjoy it with their friends and family. In some parts of North India, like Mathura and Vrindavan the Holi is played by the flowers which are safe but almost in all states, the colors are the main attraction of the festival. Not all but many colors can harm the baby’s skin and health in many ways.
As we all know that the origin of colors is flowers, berries, spices, and various other herbal plants that are safe for the skin. But now mostly colors are made up of chemicals and colored powder contains several toxic agents which are very harmful to the kids as well as adults’ skin also. Many other side effects can affect the kid’s skin in some ways. Here are some of them:
- Skin irritation and allergy.
- Itchy Rashes on the skin.
- Some toxic chemicals can lead to skin cancer.
- Side effects of toxic chemicals in the eyes.
- Colors can also harm the lungs.
- Asthma problem.
If you found any of the above symptoms after playing Holi from colors then kindly contact the doctors and get fast treatment to cure the health of severe disease.
Tips To Protect Kids From Colors
On the eve of the color’s festival Holi, it is important to make your children aware of the unhygienic and other side effects of the colors. Check out some best and most effective tips that will protect your kids from the Holi colors and other dangerous things. Here are some of them:
- The very first tip is to keep an eye on your kids so that you can stop them while doing the wrong things.
- Say a big ‘NO’ to the synthetic colors. Instead of it, use natural and herbal colors that do not contain any type of chemical and harmful toxic elements.
- Water Balloons are fun but try to avoid them because they may cause severe injury in the eyes, ears, mouth, and internal body parts.
- Goggles are the best option to protect the eyes from water and other chemicals.
- Prepare your kids by choosing full sleeves shirt and pants to avoid many colors on the skin.
- Apply petroleum jelly, coconut oil, and any other moisturizer on the skin. This will help to avoid any type of skin rashes or infections.
- Be ready for any type of emergency to avoid any type of hidden dangerous situation.
- Tell your kids to avoid pichkaaris throwing on the people’s faces.
- Teach your child not to put the colors on the mouth or eat anything from the colored hands.
Holi Etiquette For Kids To Enjoy The Festival
Parents can look after their children when they are around, but you cannot be always with them for your whole life. It is very important to teach your kids about the etiquette of Holi so that they don’t have to face any trouble for a lifetime. Here are some of the Holi etiquette which you should teach your kids to enjoy safe and healthy Holi. Check out:
- Teach your kids not to throw colors and water at every random people. A person who wants to play Holi is the one with whom they can enjoy.
- Don’t prank small babies and elderly people. This can result in a serious health problem for them.
- Don’t throw water balloons from your balcony or terrace on every people. Normally children do it for fun which in turn can create a problem for others.
- Teach your kids too not to apply the colors to people’s mouths, eyes, and ears.
- Ask your children, not to harm the animals by applying colors to their bodies. Colors can irritate their skin and they can have itchiness or burning sensation.
- Teach your child to stay calm and polite with animals. Don’t be cruel by throwing water balloons on them.
- It is important to teach the child about the tradition of Holi and the reason for celebrating the festivals. Tell them about the mythological stories and the real reason behind the occasion. Ask them to follow all the etiquettes so that they can spread love and joy at the festival instead of making others worry about the problem which can develop due to the wrong use of colors.
It is advised that while celebrating Holi, be careful and buy natural or organic colors which can be safe for the skin as well as overall health. However, the organic labeled color also has no surety that they are chemical-free. We can only trust the homemade colors but it is not possible because of lack of time and energy. So, it is better to buy a reputed brand and good quality colors and use gulal instead of other harmful colors. Make Holi a peaceful festival by spreading happiness instead of making it complicated with the side effects of colors.