According to Ayurveda, the term Nidra means the physiological state of the rest of the human body, mind, send, and motor organs. When the mind and body are exhausted the sense organs detract from the objects and make the person sleepy. When the mind is exhausted from the regular routine work the Kapha dosha increases in the body and that brings about the natural sleep.
Related: Ayurvedic Diagnosis
Sleeping for long hours is not good for the health; however, lack of proper sleep is also not good for the human body. If you sleep for longer hours it will disturb the whole system of the body. Lack of proper sleep would make you dull, lazy and create a burning sensation in your eyes plus headache and body ache. Moreover, lack of proper sleep can affect the natural urge to eat resulting in irregular bowel movements.
Several Types of Nidra
According to Ayurveda, there are several types of Nidra and they are
- Tamobhava Nidra: This Nidra is caused by the excessive tamasika guna meaning lethargy and lack of initiative in the mind. Basically when lethargy dominates the person tends to fall asleep due to laziness. Even after waking up the person remains in a confused state of mind and cannot differentiate between the good and the bad. The person would like to sleep more and this type of sleep is not good. Tamasik Nidra, a type of deep sleep can even lead to death.
- Shleshma samudbhava: Shleshma means Kapha. This is kind of sleep is caused by excessive kapha. Intake of heavy, oily, and viscous food mostly with a sweet taste induces the vitiation of kapha in the body. Increased kapha in the body induces sleep because it obstructs the sensory organs preventing their normal functions.
Related: Ayurveda Prakriti Self Body Test
- Kaala Swabhaavaja Nidra: Ayurveda describes this as the normal sleep that is part of the daily routine. This is a natural phenomenon that occurs generally at the end of the day. Sleeping during the night is good for health as it happens under normal health and natural conditions. It helps the person to get physically and mentally fit for the daily schedules.
- Chitta Kheda Prabhava Nidra: This type of sleep generally occurs due to disturbances of the mind or from mental exhaustion.
- Vyadhyanuvartini or Roga Kheda Prabhava Nidra: Basically this type of Nidra is the result of prolonged diseases. In this type of Nidra, the predominance of Kapha causes excessive sleep. This can be corrected by proper medical intervention.
- Agantuki This kind of Nidra is an unexpected or unnatural kind. The main reason for this nidra is an organic disturbance of the body center. However, if this kind of Nidra repeats then it denotes the bad state of the body condition.
- Aagantuja Nidra: This is a type of sleep that is caused by a trauma or injury involving the head.
- Paapaatmika:Ayurveda’s holistic principles focus on the body and mind. Life science insists that disturbed sleep is an effect sin.
- Peaceful and normal Sleep (Nidra)
- Make the dinner time pleasant and also ensure that the bed and surroundings are clean, comfortable, and suitable for good sleep. Keep your mental state calm and avoid negative thoughts. It is advisable to keep the head in Purva (east) or Dakshin (south) direction. Before sleeping one should offer prayers as this will induce good sleep.