The Umbilical cord is the way from which babies in the womb receive the oxygen and nourishment. The Umbilical cord is attached to the inner wall of the mother’s uterus at one side and another to the uterus of the baby. The cord is helping until the baby is in the womb. After taking birth the Umbilical Cord is useless so it has been cut down from baby’s body. This umbilical cord leaves the Umbilical marks around the belly button of the baby. The cutting of the cord is a painless process and there is no harm to the babies.
After the Umbilical cord had been removed there are many things which you have to keep in your mind. You have to take care of the navel of babies as it can be infected from various reasons. Have a look and get answers for most of your questions.
What is an Umbilical Cord Stump?
During birth time the umbilical cord is snipped and it leaves an Umbilical cord stump on the navel of the babies. We cannot cut the whole attached cord from baby’s body because it is still attached to them and it will be harmful if we will cut it down. So to avoid pain to the babies the doctors leaves a small part of Umbilical cord in the belly button. This remaining part of the cord is known as Umbilical cord stump which dries up automatically and falls down by itself.
When the Umbilical Cord Stump will fall down?
The timing of falling of the Umbilical Cord is different in all the babies. It depends on the body and skin of the baby and how the parents are taking care of the cord stump. But generally it takes 2-3 weeks to get dry and some more days to become a normal baby’s belly button.
But until and unless the cord doesn’t get drier we have to follow many precautions and caring tips to make it infection and allergy free.
What are the infections Sign & Symptoms of an Umbilical Cord Stump?
In new born babies the umbilical cord is the most sensitive part and it should be handling with care to make it infection free. Many parents don’t bother about the umbilical cord stump but if gets affected by the skin bacteria then it will result in a very serious injuries or even death of the newborns. Some of the common signs and symptoms which shows that baby is having infections in the cord stumps are:
- Try to observe the look of the belly button. It will look worse than usual if it is affected by any type of infection.
- If the Umbilical cord stump has fallen down within 2-3 days then once get a check up with baby’s pediatrics. The early fallen of the cord can be because someone has touched it or it may be touched by the baby’s hand.
- The baby cries when you touch the cord or the skin around the navel. If this happens on your every touch then consult with your doctors and apply medicines as soon as possible.
- The base skin around the Umbilical cord becomes red and a little swelling on it.
- If the stump continuously bleeds then call doctor for the treatment. This can be because of the bleeding disorder of the cord. The excessive bleeding can lack the blood in the baby’s body.
- If the Umbilical Cord stump is affected by any type of infection then there is a possibility of yellow discharge from the base skin of the cord.
- Any type of infection smells a lot and so is the case in the stump also. If you feel any bad smell from the cord then be alert and start treatment.
If the infection of the umbilical cord stump will remain for so many day then it will results in the omphalitis diseases which is a life-threatening infection of the cord. It will be better if you take advice from your doctor as soon as you see any of the above symptoms to avoid the high risk of infections.
How to take care of the Umbilical Cord?
- Keep it Hygienic: The cleanliness and hygienic keeps the baby healthy and happy. If you see any type of dirt or sticky things around the stump then clean it. Always soak it with the dry cloths.
- Dryness is good: Don’t keep the Umbilical Cord stump wet because wetness will never allow the cord to dry and fall down. Even the wet part might be affected by the skin bacteria.
- Sponge baths: Give your baby the sponge bath and avoid water in the stump area. You have to wait for only for 1 month after that you can give a free bathtub bath without any infection’s tension.
- Avoid waistband: Try to avoid the diapers and pants to tie on the waist near navel. You can give a fold to the pants so that they cannot touch the cord. Always take care of the wet diapers because they make leak upwards and can wet the stump.
- Loose fitting cloths: Choose loose fitting cloths so that it cannot press the stump and become the reason for the infections.
- Cotton clothes: It will be better if you use the cotton cloths for babies either it is summer or winter. The cotton is always best for babies and it has less rubbing capacity. In summers it will also soak the sweat easily around the stump area.
- Avoid touching the stump: If you see that the stump had been dried then don’t try to pull it out. Let it fall by itself. If a little thread of it is still attached to the skin then also it will start bleeding. So, try to avoid anything on it.