Healthy hair is glossy, thick, and silky. Hair is a good indicator of overall health. Dull, lifeless hair is a sign of nutritional imbalances and a sign that hair is stressed and maltreated.
How to Prevent Split Ends in Hair
Hair is made of a protein compound called keratin. The hair shaft has an inner core and an outer cuticle. It is attached to the scalp at the hair root. The sebaceous glands in the scalp secrete oils that help keep the scalp moist and hair soft. Loss of essential oils causes the scalp and hair to dry. The hair cuticle gets damaged and hair strands spilt up into 2 or more strands at the roots. This causes mild discoloration of hair at the roots but more importantly causes hair to fall.
Related: Hair Extensions For Thin Hair
Split ends are more common in women who have long hair. The ideal solution to avoid split ends is to trim hair every 6-8 weeks. The damaged hair is cut off and the split ends do not travel up to the roots. Partaking in a balanced nutritious diet helps keep the hair and scalp healthy and prevents damage to hair. Cereals, Pulses, egg yolk, fish oils, nuts, and green leafy vegetables contain enough vitamins and minerals to keep hair healthy. Nutritional supplements containing Vitamin B12 should be taken to prevent and cure split ends.
Related: Most Common Hair Color Mistakes
Home remedies for Split ends:
- Soak fenugreek seeds and hibiscus flowers overnight. Grind well to paste adding sour curds. Apply on hair and scalp, taking care to include hair ends. Wash with a mild shampoo
- Mash a ripe banana with ripe avocado flesh. Apply over scalp and hair. Leave for an hour before washing.
- Mix the yolk of an egg with warm olive oil. Apply on hair and scalp and keep covered with a shower cap. Wash with baby shampoo and Luke warm water.
- Beat half a cup of low-fat mayonnaise and apply it to the hair. Keep covered for 30 minutes with plastic cap before washing off
- Mix equal quantities of coconut, olive, and mustard oils. Apply on scalp and hair using a cotton wad. Soak a towel in hot water and wring it dry. Wrap the towel like a turban and keep it till the towel loses heat. This enables oil to percolate into the pores of the scalp. Repeat 3-4 times.
- Hot oil massages at salons work wonders on hair with split ends. Massages improve blood circulation and promote the growth of hair. Sweet almond oil, Jojoba oil, and castor oil are best for hair massage.
- Olive oil is great for treating hair problems. Heat the olive oil; massage it throughout your hair. Put a shower cap on, and let the olive oil soak your hair for at least half an hour. Wash hair with a mild shampoo.
Related: Hair Remedies For Dry Hair
Never brush or comb wet hair. Always use a round-ended comb.