Hair is an indicator of good health and vitality. Hair losses, dull hair, and lack of hair growth are indications of bigger general health problems. Nutritional deficiencies cause hair problems. A healthy diet rich in proteins and vitamins nourishes hair and promotes hair vitality.
Related: Hair Remedies For Dry Hair
Hair problems may be a side effect of serious illnesses and the problems are rectified once the general health improves. Iron deficiencies also cause hair problems. This can be remedied by taking iron-rich foods. Spinach, Pulses, eggs, fish oil, and nuts are especially beneficial in restoring hair health and accelerating hair growth. Vegetarians need to eat more of pulses and cereals to get the requisite proteins. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C which is essential to maintain the luster of hair. Carrots, spinach, and lettuce contain beta carotene which promotes hair growth. Flax seeds, almonds, and walnuts contain enough antioxidants and omega-3 acids to prevent premature graying of hair.
Related: Hair Remedies For Damaged Hair
Dietary Supplements to promote hair growth:
- A fortnight-long course of B12 vitamins may be prescribed to control and stop hair loss.
- A course of multivitamin tablets is taken to promote hair growth. These tablets should contain vitamins and minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.
- Vitamin E tablets may be taken after medical advice as overdose is harmful to health
- Cod and fish liver oil tablets contain Vitamins D and E, omega 3 acids, and minerals in natural form .these tablets may be taken long term for general health.
- Brahmi, which is an herb used in Ayurveda, is very effective in promoting natural hair growth and in preventing graying of hair. Brahmi can be consumed internally and also added to massage oils.
- The Chinese system of medicine prescribes ginseng and garlic to improve blood circulation and thus indirectly promote hair growth.
- Kelp which is seaweed is effective in promoting hair growth. This is available in oil and capsule form.
- Spirulina, available in capsule form, is another natural product effective in promoting hair growth.
- For good results, Soya is rich in proteins and should be consumed in milk or cheese.
- Flax seeds and sunflower seeds have been beneficial in avoiding hair loss.
- Eggs and egg products are protein rich and indispensable in promoting the good health of hair.
- Copper is necessary to strengthen the immune system while improving the functioning of blood vessels, nerves, and bones. It helps hair growth when used in combination with zinc.
- There are many supplements available over the counter under the trade names of Phyto Phytophanere, biotins, etc are available over the counter but their efficacy is not proven.
- Essential fatty acids, MSM, inositol, biotin, vitamin B complex, raw thymus glandular, zinc, vitamins C and E, coenzyme Q10, copper, silica, and grape seed extract are good supplements for strong hair growth.