Body aches are nothing but myalgia, which means muscle pain and it could be a symptom of a disease or disorder. A person having pain and discomfort in multiple areas of the body is said to have body aches. In general, the discomforts are most prominent in the muscles and joints. It is understood in the medical world that aches and pains are common during viral infections, such as colds. It is also said aches and pains are one of the most common symptoms of influenza. Additionally, aches and pains may also be caused by overdoing exercise, stress, depression, and side effects or abuse of drugs. So before going for any treatment, the cause must be ascertained.
Root Causes for Body Aches
Body aches are mainly due to Injury or Trauma that includes sprains and strains. It could also be due to stress, over-exercise, etc. It may also be due to sudden exertion like continuous travel, climbing requiring muscle strain. Medical experts say that body aches are also due to certain drugs, dermatomyositis, imbalances of nutrients such as calcium and potassium, fibromyalgia, infections that include flu, malaria, polio, etc.
Treatment for Body Aches
- The treatment for body aches and pains depends on the underlying cause. Normally, treatment for aches and pains may include acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, warm baths, and massage.
- Allow yourself time to rest your body during long hours of work. Forcing yourself to continue will only increase the pain and make things worse. If the body aches are due to over-exercise, do only light workouts until your muscles feel better. You can also take a pain reliever. This will not only help with the body aches but will also aid in reducing the inflammation that causes the pain.
- Massage can help you to relax the muscles and temporarily can relieve you out from body aches. Taking a warm bath will also have the same effect.
- To manage chronic pain due to arthritis or fibromyalgia, you should do some regular exercises. Learning what types of exercise you can reasonably do is the key point for relief from body aches. These exercises can help to relieve the symptoms of these diseases. However, you need to be cautious to ensure about the choice of the exercise as a wrong choice might cause harm to your body.
- Getting enough sleep and managing stress could be of great help to chronic pain sufferers as adequate rest can rejuvenate and renew the cells.
- Somebody aches can be prevented if caused by making changes in the way you exercise by properly warming up before you begin to do your workout. You will need to remember that some muscle soreness after a workout is a good sign that is challenging your body, and thereby you are getting stronger while getting relieved from the body ache.