Baby massage is very important for babies because it has many hidden benefits. There are many benefits of baby massage which we even don’t know. Normally we do massage because our elders had done it with the babies. They did the message to make the babies bones strong. But apart from this strong bodybuilding, there are many other benefits of baby massage. Let us have a small discussion on the benefits of baby massage. Have a look:
You can also check these Baby Massage Process and Steps:
Baby Massage Benefits
- Weight Gain: According to research, touch therapy or massage is a good way to make growth in babies. The baby who had got massage gained 47% more weight than the babies who had not received any messages.
- Low risk of jaundice: One research informed that the baby massage reduces the bilirubin levels in the blood which is responsible for jaundice in babies. Massage increase the frequency of Bowel movement which helps in expel the bilirubin from the body and reduces its level in the blood.
- Reduces stress: The massage is a good way to reduce the stress level in all the human being. It had been researched that the baby who got a message on a regular basis had improved heart rate variability. Touch therapy is often given to adults to make them stress-free. And so is the process in babies also. They feel very relaxed while getting a massage and this is the reason they get a good sleep after massaging the body.
- A good sleep: As we have discussed earlier that massage provides a good sleep to the baby. The process of massage lowers the levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, and stimulates melatonin production. And let us inform you that melatonin primary work is to regulate the sleep cycle.
- Bond with parents: The first thing which babies start to feel is the Touch. The skin to skin contact makes strong contact with parents. There are many hospitals where the newborn babies are placed on the mother’s chest or abdomen to give them a protective sense of a mother’s touch and they both attach emotionally to each other. It is seen that breastfeeding babies are more close to their mothers as compared to the babies who are on formula milk from their birth.
- Relieves gas: The baby massage make the tummy gas and acidity free. The babies have an underdeveloped sphincter in their esophagus, which is not able to take them to burp on their own. This results in the gas in the body and they feel irritated. The massage pressure their tummy and they pass gas through a fart. The back massage helps to take the burps and the release of gas from the body.
- No Constipation: The baby massage helps to release the waste from the body and a regular bowel movement which helps to avoid constipation. What you have to do is place your fingers on baby’s rib and gently massage it clockwise. This rib massage will help in better digestion and helps in a clear poo.
- Helps in serious conditions: Baby massage can help in various types of critical and serious conditions too. The babies suffering from autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, Bulimia, Depression, Anxiety, and many such disorders are seen to feel relaxed from massage therapy. It had been researched that babies who get the massage as a treatment to their disorders are seen less stressed, more alert and the disorder symptoms were also seen decreased in them.
- Psychological and social development: According to a report in 2012. the baby massage has a positive effect on the baby’s body. The sense of touch to them develops their psychological and social strength.
- Relaxes Muscles: The baby massage stimulates the release of oxytocin which is good feeling hormone and decreases the stress hormone cortisol which results in the relaxation of muscles. The relaxation of muscles stimulated the growth and this is helping to the colic babies too.
- Good nervous system: The baby massage helps in stimulating the nervous system which is good for the improvement of a baby’s motor skills development.
Things to AVOID during baby massage
There are many things during the massage which should be avoided so that the massage can be proved as beneficial for the babies. Many times we do something wrong which in results had negative effects on the babies. So, do less or more for babies but do the things in the correct way. Have a look:
- The face massages are good but try to avoid taking so much oil for the face. The much oil can easily dip into the eyes or mouth of the baby which can harm the body parts.
- If you have no experience of massaging the baby’s head then try to avoid the head massage. He is so small now and still, he is having the softness in the head which can be injured during the massage. Either massage with soft and gentle hands or avoid the head until the hardness comes.
- Don’t massage for long hours to the baby. The so long massage is also not good for the babies as they can be discomfort. Give only 15-20 minutes massage to your baby so that he doesn’t get irritated.
- If your baby starts crying or showing no interest to massage then stops it. Might someday he is not in a mood to be massaged. Do massage only when he is in the mood.
- Try to massage only with natural things. Don’t use cosmetics, perfumed cream or oil, PEG or EDTA to avoid many types of skin allergies to it.