A stye is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the eyelid. It is actually the infection of the follicles of the eyelashes that starts spreading. The style resembles a pimple and is found at the edge of the eyelids causing pain and uneasiness.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Flatulence
The Stye may affect the skin of eyebrows or the eyelid, especially the lower eyelid. It often develops fast and produces a red, elevated, swollen, and painful area on the eyelid. If it is an internal stye it can prevent the pus from appearing on the eyelid. If not treated in time, the stye can lead to cellulite, the infection of the skin. It is advisable to consult an eye specialist if stye continues for more than 3 days.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Stye Eye Infection
Ayurveda advocates the treatment for the underlying cause of the infection for curing Stye. Both internal medicines and external therapies are used. Ayurveda is an ancient Indian healthcare system that focuses on removing the imbalances in the body. The treatments and therapies are used to restore the harmony of the body with nature. This is achieved by the use of natural herbs, minerals, various purification therapies, and diet and lifestyle adjustments.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Boils
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Alopecia
Symptoms of Stye Eye Infection
The common symptoms of Stye are redness and tenderness at the edge of the eyelids. It may later lead to pus formation and pain in the areas. The discharge from the eyelids results in the sticking together of the eyelids in the mornings or sometimes a crust-like formation at the affected areas.
Related: Ayurveda For Frigidity
Causes of Stye Eye Infection
- Improper cleaning of the eyes can cause Stye.
- Bacteria called staphylococci may also cause Stye.
- Stress and problems of the skin are other causes.
- It may be caused by chronic diseases such as diabetes that may induce the formation of Stye.
- Poor nutrition and poor health may also lead to the formation of Stye.
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Stroke
Ayurveda Treatment for Stye
Ayurveda treatment is aimed at the removal of the root cause of the problem. The medicines that are used for treating Stye are those generally used in the treatment of acute infections.
- Mild fomentation should be given 3 to 4 times a day to the affected area to heal the wound and to drain the pus from the eyelids.
- Add turmeric powder to water and use this water as eye drops 3 times daily.
- Coriander seeds are boiled in water and the water should be used to wash the eyes 3 or 4 times a day.
- A compress made of guava leaves placed on a warm and damp cloth is used as a compress to reduce redness, swelling, and pain.
- Ayurveda medicines include Triphala-Guggulu, Sukshma-Triphala, Arogya-Vardhini, Chandan (Santalum album), Mahamanjishthadi-Qadha, Panch-Tikta-Ghrut-Guggulu, and Gandhak-Rasayan. They are used to treat chronic skin problems.
- Medicines with Haridra (Curcuma longa), Triphala (Three fruits), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Daruharidra (Berberis aristata), and Kapur, purified camphor, and Rosewater are also used as eye drops.
- Ayurvedic herbal preparations like Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Yashtimadhuk (Glycerrhiza glabra) and Suvarna-Malini-Vasant are used to step up the immunity of the body.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Parkinson Disease
Prevention Of Stye Eye Infection
The hygiene of the eyes should be maintained. Diabetes should be controlled as it affects the eyes in acute conditions.