Though incontinence is not considered a disease, it could signify a symptom of other problems. A problem that affects both men and women, Incontinence may follow childbirth or menopause in women and prostate cancer treatment and radical prostatectomy in men. Incontinence is more regular among women than men because their urethra is quite short. When women cough, sneeze, or strain, their bladder may leak a little urine.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Gall Stones
Ayurveda and Incontinence
Ayurveda attributes incontinence to the imbalance of the Vata dosha at the pelvic region including the urinary bladder. Ayurveda system addresses the root cause of the disease to treat the disorder. Each patient gets a personalized treatment according to the severity of the problem and age other factors.
Related: Ayurveda For Grey Hair
Related: Ayurveda For Hypothyroidism
Causes of Incontinence
- Overactive Bladder
- Medical conditions like enlarged prostate, diabetes, and Parkinson’s disease
- Post-surgery effects from prostate cancer or other surgery on the prostate gland
- Congenital causes like abnormal development of the urinary tract
- Temporary causes such as urine infection, constipation, and drugs
- Fistulae (abnormal openings into the vagina from the urethra or bladder)
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Anti Aging
Symptoms of Incontinence
- Urine leakage
- Bedwetting (children)
Ayurvedic Remedy for Incontinence
The medications include an herbal blend containing Ashwagandha, oil massages, and sand decoctions. A variety of other procedures are also recommended like:
- Eliminating or reducing the intake of alcohol, coffee, and other caffeine-containing foods, intensify the urge to urinate
- Ingesting extracts of Ayurvedic medicines like Gokshura, Shatavari and Guggulu helps to improve the bladder tone and regularize urine flow
- Consuming two tablets of Chambal Prabha Vati daily along with 1 Teaspoon full of Brahmi Chyawanprash
- Practicing Kegel exercises for 3 times a day is also recommended especially to avoid catching incontinence as post-pregnancy symptoms
- In the Kegel exercise, you need to contract your pelvic floor muscles for 10 seconds, and then relax them for 10 seconds. This needs to be repeated 10 times. Performing Kegel exercises during pregnancy and soon after delivery may help prevent incontinence related to childbirth.
Related: Ayurvedic treatment For Gum Disease
Diet Recommendation For Incontinence
- Have tender coconut water, buttermilk, vegetables that have high liquid content like cucumber, radish, etc. on a regular basis
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Have fresh juices. Tea, coffee, and chocolates should be avoided
Related: Ayurveda For Glowing Skin
Other Recommendation For Incontinence
- Empty the bladder regularly, especially before physical activity.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages or plenty of fluid before any activity.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Go to the bathroom regularly rather than waiting for the urge
- A good exercise strengthens muscles, including those of the bladder and surrounding areas.