Flatulence is referred to as ‘Adhmana’ in Ayurveda which often causes social embarrassment. Flatulence is a condition in which a mixture of gases is expelled through the rectum. These gases are the by-products of digestion and the mixture of gases is known as flatus. Flatulence may be accompanied by a strong odor or noise. Flatulence and bloating can be symptoms associated with other diseases. The person may experience headaches, insomnia, breathlessness, indigestion, loss of appetite, and abdominal discomfort.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Boils
Causes of Flatulence
The wind is formed in the digestive tract during the process of digestion. The digestive process produces a small amount of gas namely flatus, but it is normal and it gets out of the body through the anus. Excessive formation of wind can make the intestine swell and stomach bloat.
- The gas formation is due to the poor absorption of carbohydrates.
- The most common cause of flatulence is indigestion as eating large amounts of carbohydrates such as beans and certain foods that your body may be sensitive to.
- Consumption of high-fat food can produce a large amount of carbon dioxide a part of which may be released.
- The proteins containing sulfur and amino acids can release gas with a strong odor.
- Foods that have gas-producing properties like apples, pears, cabbage, potatoes, beans, corns oats, onions, cauliflower, prunes, broccoli, bread, milk, soft cheese, ice cream, carbonated beverages, etc.
- Cancer of the colon and rectum often manifests with the symptom of bloating, abdomen discomfort, and gas. The other medical conditions that have gas as a symptom are inflammatory bowel and celiac disease.
- If flatulence is accompanied by diarrhea and weight loss, it may be due to a mal-absorption disorder involving pancreatic insufficiency or lactose intolerance.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Alopecia
Related: Ayurveda For Frigidity
Ayurvedic Remedy for Flatulence
When flatulence causes constipation the patient is given Hingavashtaka Churna. The powder should be mixed with ghee made of cow’s milk and taken along with hot water twice a day.
If constipation has caused flatulence, Ayurveda suggests Kumari Asava. The patient is advised to take 30 ml of Kumari Asava with water after food twice a day. Another therapy is to make the patient take a mixture of Hing Triguna Taila and warm water on an empty stomach once every day.
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Stroke
- Most of the herbs that are helpful in combating flatulence are available in the kitchen and can be used in simple preparations to fight flatulence.
- Cardamom helps in quick digestion and hence can be added to cooking or in tea or chewed raw.
- Garlic is highly effective for flatulence.
- Fennel (Saunf) is known for its digestive power and therefore is taken after meals for digestion and for fresh breath, and hence can be taken after every meal for digestion and for freshening breath. A decoction made of fennel seeds gives instant relief from flatulence.
- Yogurt contains the bacteria called acidophilus that works against flatulence and indigestion.
- Turmeric also provides excellent relief from flatulence. Adding turmeric in regular cooking is beneficial to prevent indigestion and flatulence.
- Coriander seeds powder included in foods ease flatulence, bloating, cramps and hiccups.
- Cloves help in eliminating flatulence and improve digestion.
- Excess intake of Vitamin C tablets may cause flatulence. Natural citrus fruits that are rich in Vitamin C can be consumed.
- Another effective home remedy for flatulence is chewing Peppermint as it contains menthol which prevents gas formation.
- A mixture of half a teaspoon of dry ginger powder in a glass of warm water plus a pinch of rock salt and asafetida can be consumed many times for relief from problems of flatulence.
- Sprinkling rosemary, sage, or thyme to food also can help to keep flatulence away.
- Taking two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar at bedtime on a daily basis is beneficial in relieving flatulence and detoxification of the internal systems of the body.