The presence of intestinal worms is not uncommon. They are parasites that reside in the intestines and the most vulnerable are children. They feed on the bowel contents and blood of the person affected. They normally spread through channels like food and water, mosquitoes, through the skin or nose, and via sexual contact. Some of the worms are visible to the naked eye while others are microscopic.
Related: Ayurveda For Anorexia
The most common parasites are worms such as hookworms, tapeworms, threadworms, roundworms and more. Giardia is another example of intestinal worms. The worms lead to various symptoms and other serious complications in the body.
The common symptoms found indicating the presence of Human intestinal worms are
- Worms can be seen in the stools
- Loss of appetite or indigestion
- Bad breath and/or shortness of breath
- Coughing / with worms
- Itching sensation at the anus
- Abdominal pain
Related: Ayurveda For Chicken Pox
Related: Antibacterial Drugs In Ayurveda
Causes For Human Intestinal Worms
- Intake of contaminated food
- Poor personal hygiene
- Worms can enter the body through bare feet
- Consuming raw food without cleaning them properly
- Visiting places with poor sanitation
- Visiting places known for worms and parasites
Related: Ayurveda And Fever
Ayurveda Treatment for Human Intestinal Worms
- Fresh fruits should form the major part of the diet for 4 to 5 days followed by a well-balanced diet.
- Take a tablespoonful of freshly ground coconut. Coconut kills intestinal worms of all kinds. After three hours warm milk in which a teaspoonful of castor oil is added should be taken. Repeat this till all the worms are expelled.
- Take a cup of grated Carrot in the morning on empty stomach for a few days.
- Chewing 3 cloves of garlic is an effective way to get rid of intestinal worms.
- Haridra is very effective in treating intestinal worms. The powder of rhizome of this plant is given in a dose of 1 teaspoonful 3 times a day with a cup of milk.
- Tender leaves mandar taken with honey is highly effective in treating intestinal worms.
- Take 200 mg of bitter gourd seeds with buttermilk every day for eliminating intestinal worms.
- Take a handful of crushed pomegranate leaves and boil them with a glass of milk. Drink half of this on empty stomach early in the morning and rest after two hours.
- Drink papaya juice with a teaspoon of honey in the morning.
For people of age above 5, a glass of warm milk with 1 teaspoon of castor oil can be given for 2 days.
Vasaka is another herb that can help cure intestinal worms.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Epilepsy
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Sciatica
Diet Advice For Intestinal Worms
Include garlic and haridra in food as much as possible. Increase the intake of bitter-tasting foods like bitter gourd, neem flower, drumstick, etc. Sugar and sugarcane juice must be avoided.
Precautions For Human Intestinal Worms
Do not suppress natural urges to pass urine or stools. Avoid constipation. Fasting once a week can prevent the breeding of worms in the intestines. Keep fingernails clean and short. Meat should be cook meat thoroughly.