Headache involves pain in the head which can be a symptom of some other disorders or maybe a disorder by itself. The most common type of headache is the one that occurs due to tension. Some others have headaches when they are dehydrated or hungry. There are many types of headaches resulting from different causes. It may be due to reasons like food or medication triggers, menstrual problems, or just stress.
Ayurveda Approach to Headache
Ayurveda attributes ailments due to the imbalance of energies in the body. Ayurvedic remedies use herbs, minerals, and certain therapies to repair the imbalance and help the body get back to health. The medications include powders, tablets, capsules or oils, decoctions, and a variety of procedures like Panchakarma. According to Ayurveda, headaches are of 11 types and can be treated depending on the dosha vitiation that caused the headache.
Related: Antihypertensive Drugs In Ayurveda
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Hiccups
Symptoms Of headache
Headache can be mild or severe affecting the whole head or a part of the head
- Loss of appetite
- Sleep disorders
Causes Of Headaches
Headaches can be also caused by
- Underlying disease
- Excessive intake of tea, coffee, nicotine, or aspirin
- Nervous weakness
- Oxygen deficiency in the blood
- Sitting too close to the TV
- Reading in a moving train or car
- Reading with improper light
Related: Treatment For Angina In Ayurveda
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Sciatica Pain
Ayurvedic Remedies For Headaches
- Oil massage using sesame oil, mustard oil, or ghee on the scalp also relieves tension and headache
- A paste made by grinding and mixing the powders of cinnamon and almond in equal quantities together with a little should be applied on the forehead.
- A paste made of sandalwood powder and water can also be applied.
- A quarter teaspoon of clove powder in one teaspoon of cinnamon oil can be applied
- The powder made from the roots of Costus and Kuth is mixed with castor oil is applied on the forehead – this relieves headache due to vata dosha vitiation.
- The paste of a mixture of herbs like Aniseed, licorice, water lily, costus, Nagar Motha, and long pepper is also beneficial.
- Saffron rubbed with ghee in the palms for a few minutes can be applied twice a day for pain relief.
- Two drops of milk in which ginger powder is mixed can be put in each nostril twice a day.
- Wrapping a wet cloth around the neck can also provide relief from headaches.
- 1 teaspoon of almond oil is heated and allowed to cool. Two drops of this are put in each nostril.
Related: Ayurveda And Antacids
Other Points to Remember For Headaches
- Avoid fried foods, meat, sour and spicy foods, and foods
- Yogurt should be avoided, especially at night.
- Have adequate rest.
- Never suppress the natural urges.
- Keep the mind free from anxiety, anger, and worry.