Bleeding gums is known as Gingivitis in Ayurveda. It is caused by inflammation in the mouth. It generally affects the tissues surrounding the teeth and the gums. It might lead to serious tooth problems if it is allowed to advance untreated. It could ultimately lead to loss of teeth and even destruction of jawbones supporting the teeth. Bleeding gums are the result of bacterial infection which can be prevented easily. It is caused by the food particles that are stored in the mouth inside the space between the teeth and the gums. Accumulation of germs on them causes inflammation in the gums.
Related: Ayurveda For Weight Loss
Bleeding Gums in Ayurveda
Bleeding gum is viewed as a Kapha dosha disease. According to the Ayurvedic point of view, the aggravation of one or a combination of the three doshas of the body can cause disease. Ayurvedic treatments are therefore aimed at bringing back the dosha balance to the body and building immunity. It is a science that involves medication, natural therapies, yoga and meditation, and lifestyle and diet modifications.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Stye
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Flatulence
Symptoms of Bleeding Gums
- Painful gums
- Bleeding from the gums while brushing the teeth
- Reddish gums
- Swelling in gums
- Tender gums
- Bad breath
- Bad taste in the mouth
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Boils
Bleeding Gum – Other Causes and Symptom of Diseases
Bleeding gums can also occur following the fitting of dentures, Peritonitis, and trench mouth. Bleeding gums could also be a sign of other medical conditions such as Diabetes, Vitamin D deficiency, or Leukemia and Pregnancy.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Alopecia
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Stroke
Ayurvedic Remedies for Bleeding Gums
- Ayurveda places more emphasis on prevention. Brushing the teeth twice on a daily basis can prevent bleeding gums.
- The most effective remedy is applying clove oil to the bleeding gums and chewing pieces of clove.
- Herbal toothpaste such as Red toothpaste, Red tooth powder, or Iremadi Talia can be used to brush the teeth to arrest the bleeding gums.
- It is always good to gargle with warm water with a pinch of salt twice a day. This would help in extracting the extra food particles and the accumulation of saliva which leads to bleeding gums.
- Grapefruit and grape juice is good in controlling bleeding gums.
- Rinsing the mouth with raw sesame oil helps to remove toxins and pathogens from the mouth. This process would certainly avoid the gums from bleeding.
- The dental cream made of the combination of Neem, Babool, Meswak, and Tumburu helps in addressing dental problems such as bleeding gums or bad breath and plaque among others.
- Using Triphala powder for gargling also helps in arresting the bleeding from the gums.
- Applying a mixture of baking soda and water in the affected area would provide relief.
- Taking Cranberry juice without sugar can also help in treating the bleeding gums.
- Consume fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Consuming Fiber foods and Vitamin C contents is also beneficial to treat bleeding gums.
- Gargle with hydrogen peroxide with water arrests the bleeding gums.
- The use of toothpaste containing sage oil and peppermint oil is very effective in treating bleeding gums.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Anti Aging
In general oral hygiene and regular food, habits are necessary to prevent bleeding gums.