Hepatitis is the most common of all liver ailments which is the inflammation of the liver cells. This disease is characterized by an increase in the bile pigments in the blood, making the skin and mucus membrane yellow in color. Modern medical science has identified many varieties of Hepatitis like A, B, C, E, etc. Hepatitis A and E are responsible for jaundice which is contagious. Hepatitis B and C grow actively in the blood and can damage the liver cells causing many complications.
Related:Ayurvedic Cure For Chicken Pox
Ayurveda For Hepatitis
Hepatitis or Jaundice is known as “Kamala” in Ayurveda. Patients with Hepatitis associated with virus A or E respond positively and quickly with Ayurvedic treatment. But Hepatitis B and C are more complicated and the condition may lead to cancer which is known as Cirrhosis of the liver.
Ayurveda has no reference to viruses related to Hepatitis. According to Ayurveda Hepatitis is caused by the excessive circulation of pitta in the blood. There are many Ayurvedic remedies for Hepatitis that are found in the ancient Ayurvedic text. Ayurvedic treatment comprises medicines for the inflammation of the liver, for anemic conditions, and for general body cleaning. The treatments are aimed at correcting the imbalance in the body.
Related:Ayurvedic Treatment For Cancer
Related:Ayurveda For Chikungunya
Symptoms of hepatitis
- Rigors and chills
- Extreme weakness
- Severe headaches
- Dark-colored urine and while stools
- Loss of weight
- Yellowish tinge in the eyes, tongue, skin, and urine
- Mild ache in the liver region of the stomach.
- Itching all over the body in some cases
Causes of Hepatitis
- Excessive circulation of bile pigments in the blood.
- Obstruction of the bile duct, improper functioning of the liver
- Viral infections.
- Destruction of red blood cells.
- When the liver is affected by ailments such as typhoid, malaria, tuberculosis, and yellow fever.
Related:Ayurveda For Warts
Hepatitis risk factors
- Contaminated foods
- Prolonged excessive use of alcohol
- Intravenous drug use
- Organ transplant
- Blood transfusion
- Visiting the endemic areas where the drinking water may cause infection)
- Abnormal sexual activities
- Newborn babies can get it from Hepatitis B and C infected mothers
- Healthcare workers can get it through blood contact.
Ayurveda Remedies for Hepatitis
Highly potent herbs like Aloe Vera (Ghrit Kumari), Curcuma Longa, Picorhiza Kurroa, Kakmachi (Sollanum nigrum), Jaundice Berry (Berberis vultaris), Terminalia chebula, date and sugarcane, and Bhumimla (Phyllan thus niruri) are used in Ayurveda to treat Hepatitis. The other preparations like Arogyavardhini, Amalaki Rasayan, and Praval Panchamrit. Chandrakala Ras, Shankh Bhasma, Sutshekhar Rasa, and Yakrit pleehari Lauh are therapeutic that has been in use for thousands of years to cure liver ailments. These medications do not cause side effects or allergies.
Panchakarma is a process of purification of the entire body which is helpful in removing toxins. This may be advised according to the patient’s condition.
For chronic hepatitis patients, apart from the above-mentioned medicines, some more special formulations such as Suvarna Sutshekhar Rasa, Suvarna Malini Vasant, and Tamra Bhasma are prescribed. In addition, fermented herbal formulations called “Asavas” and “Arishtas” are also recommended.
Related: Ayurveda For Frigidity
Ayurvedic Diet For hepatitis
- Patients should eat a salt-free fat-free diet. Liquefied curd, Paneer (the solid portion of milk), pomegranate juice with honey, Radish with sesame are recommended.
- Take less spicy and boiled food.
- Consume lots of sugarcane juice, barley water, bitter luffa, and orange juice to flush out the bile pigments from the blood.
- Almonds, dry fruits, dates, and cardamom should be included in the diet.
Related: How Does Aromatherapy Work
Lifestyle Recommendation For hepatitis
- Complete rest for relaxing
- Avoid heat, sex, and emotions like anger and anxiety.
- Yogic postures such as Fish pose called Hidden Lotus pose called Baddhapadma asana, Matsya asana and Shoulder Stand called Sarvang Asana are helpful.