Open wounds or sores appear on the lining of the stomach and cause severe pain. A peptic ulcer is the name of any ulcer found in the stomach or the duodenum in the digestive system. This condition is the result of suffering from acidity for long periods of time. The lining of the stomach loses its ability to resist the action of the acids and other j digestive fluids.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Acne
Ayurveda and Peptic Ulcer
Ayurveda believes that for good health the human body should be in harmony with the universal life energies and should have a perfect balance of the three doshas namely vata, pitta, and kapha. Any imbalance causes disorders and correcting the imbalance can restore the body to its healthy condition.
The Ayurvedic name for Peptic ulcer is “Parinaam Shool”. The treatment is based on the predominant dosha vitiation. A peptic ulcer is caused by the vitiation of all three doshas and the treatments are determined according to the dosha disturbance.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Chest Pain
Related: Antipyretic Drugs In Ayurveda
Causes of Peptic Ulcer
The main causes of peptic ulcers are an irregular and poor diet that includes indulging in spicy foods, alcohol, and pain killers. The major causes are
- Excessive drinking and smoking.
- Excessive hot, spicy, and fried food. Irregular and bad eating habits.
- Consuming an excessive amount of tea, coffee, and chewing tobacco.
- Regular and frequent intake of aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Over use of Pan and Gutkha.
Related: Anti Anxiety Drugs In Ayurveda
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer
- Severe and burning sensation with pain in the upper part of the abdomen.
- Sometimes the pain occurs immediately after eating – sometimes relieved by eating.
- The pain may be felt over long periods of time.
- Nausea accompanies pain in some patients.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Tooth Ache
Ayurvedic Treatment of Peptic Ulcer
Ayurveda has the most effective oral medicine for Peptic ulcers.
- The general medicines are Avipattika Churna, Kamdudha, Praval Panchamrut, Sutha shekara Rasa, and Shankh Bhasma.
- In addition, Amalpithantak Loh, Chanderkala Ras, and Leelavilas Ras are also prescribed. The medicines contain both herbs and minerals like gold.
- Virechan is a process of purgation which is done to cleanse the digestive system to get rid of the toxins.
- Daily intake of Amalaki juice with sugar is also recommended.
- A mixture of rice and pure ghee should be consumed daily.
- Cold milk provides great relief from heartburn.
- Banana has properties that can heal peptic ulcers and should be taken with milk. They neutralize excessive acidity and protect the digestive system. Green bananas are preferred.
- Herbs like Brahmi, Aloe, and Patol Patar are also used to cure peptic ulcers due to their medicinal properties. Guduchi, Bhunimbadi, decoctions such as Patoladi and Trichosanthes diocia qadha, Saariva, Yashtimadhuk, and Usheera are highly potent herbs that are used to cure peptic ulcers. They are found to relieve the condition between 4 to 8 weeks.
- The Harar powder taken with honey or jaggery is another effective remedy for peptic ulcers.
- Decoction of barley, parval and papal mixed with honey taken twice daily provides immediate relief.
- Pure ghee has healing properties and should be taken daily with food.
Related: Ritu Charya In Ayurveda
Eat high-fiber food; avoid gutkha, smoking, alcohol, and excessive coffee and tea.