Irritable bowel syndrome, also known as IBS, and nervous colon syndrome is a chronic gastrointestinal disorders. IBS may have a considerably negative impact on the patient’s quality of life. IBS mostly affects individuals aged 20 and 30 years though it may affect people of any age.
Related: Shalya Chikitsa In Ayurveda
Ayurveda Treatment Approach to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical system believes that Irritable bowel syndrome is caused mainly due to accumulated toxins as a result of improper digestion. Stress is a factor that can indirectly contribute to IBS. Ayurveda treatment involves changes in the diet, lifestyle, practice of yoga, and meditation while taking Ayurvedic medicines that are mostly herbal formulations.
Ayurvedic therapies aim to remove the underlying imbalances of the body that caused the condition. The course of treatment is determined based on the evaluation of the patient’s body constitution and the severity of the condition.
Related: Bajikaran In Ayurveda
Causes of IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBS results from mainly improper diet and stressful lifestyle though it can be due to other factors like a disturbance in the normal routine of the person and certain medication.
- Accumulation of toxins in tissues blocking circulation.
- Poor nutrition, overeating intake of highly fatty foods, caffeine etc.
- Poor digestion.
- Imbalance of the nervous system.
- Physical and mental stress and emotional conflict
- Stress and emotional conflict
- Reduction in the level of immunity.
- Disruption of natural biological rhythms.
- Some medications
Related: Ayurveda And Antacids
Ayurveda Treatment for IBS irritable bowel syndrome
Ayurveda treatment focuses on enlivening the body’s natural healing power and repairing the ability to cure IBS. Herbs help mainly in strengthening the digestive system and flushing away the toxin. The herbs have anti-oxidant properties. Ayurvedic preparations like Kaidaryadi qwath, Kaidaryadi tab, Pippalysavam, Indukantam tablet, Dadimadi choornam, Vaiswanara choornam etc are made using them. These medications are prepared in the processes described in the Ayurvedic texts.
- Triphala capsules strengthen the entire gastrointestinal tract to treat IBS.
- Trikatau Rasayana is another Ayurvedic medicine that effectively fights IBS.
- Ginger and Amla are other home remedies.
- Constipation in I.B.S can be cured by Avipatiikar churna, Triphala Churna, Haritaki Churna, Caster oil, and Oshnodak Baster.
- Gas in I.B.S can be treated with Chitrakadi bati, Lashunadi bati, Madur Kshar with Neembu swaras.
- Ashwagandha churna, Saraswat churna, Maha Sudershanadi churna Brahmi churna are helpful to attain a balanced mind. This indirectly helps in fighting IBS.
- Yoga and meditation are recommended for reducing stress and anxiety. Massage using medicated oils is helpful to remove toxins from the body.
- Well-balanced nutritious food is recommended for overall well-being.