Hiccups are the sudden spasmodic sounds coming from the throat. Hiccups start when the chest cavity gets suddenly contracted because of the irritation of the diaphragm, the muscular partition that divides the chest and abdomen. The contraction causes the soundbox to close temporarily, resulting in the characteristic hic sound of the hiccups. The hiccups are nothing but the expulsion of wind from the chest cavity with a typical sound.
Related: Bhaisajiya Kalpana Virechan Drugs
Ayurveda and Hiccups
Hiccups are called in Ayurveda. Depending upon the dosha disturbance in the body, the symptoms may vary. Sub doshas of Vata dosha, representing the air element in the body are mostly responsible for hiccups. Mostly hiccups stop after a few minutes. Certain rare cases of hiccups may last for a week or even longer.
Related: Treatment For Angina In Ayurveda
Related: Medicinal Oils In Ayurveda
Cause of Hiccups
Hiccups can be the result of minor constipation and flatulence which is a minor problem. Conditions like gastrointestinal disorders are responsible for this type of hiccups and this can be treated with ease. Certain chronic ailments causing hiccups need serious attention.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hiccups
Ayurvedic treatments are always based on the condition of the patient and after investigating the cause. The medications use natural herbs and cause no side effects and are safe to use. They should be used according to the physician’s guidance.
Ayurvedic preparations prescribed to patients suffering from hiccups are Sukumara ghrita, Eladi vati.
The ash of peacock feathers (known as Mayurpnacha Mashi) is burnt and mixed with honey and ginger to be licked by the affected person repeatedly till the hiccups stop.
Chitrakadi vati is advised to be taken three times a day for two weeks if hiccups persist for many days.
Related: Shalya Chikitsa In Ayurveda
Home remedies for hiccups
- For recurring hiccups, a piece of fresh lemon should be sucked frequently for relief.
- Eating crushed ice also helps.
- Taking a deep breath may help.
- Drink water in which cardamom is boiled. This is a very effective method to stop hiccups.
- Just laying on the back can also provide relief.
- Taking a tablespoonful of sugar in the mouth and sucking it slowly helps.
- Eating peanut butter works for some people to stop recurring hiccups.
- Drink water or any good beverage using straws while plugging the ears with your fingers.
- Avoid overeating as this may cause irritation to the stomach and diaphragm that lead to hiccups.
- Fatty foods or chilled refrigerated foods should be avoided.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Prickly Heat
Other Recommendations For Hiccups
- The affected person should stop sleeping during the daytime in the winter days.
- If the hiccups are caused by psychoneurotic reasons psycho-therapy should be given.
- Avoid all forms of physical strain.
- Avoid overindulgence in sexual activities.