‘Flu’ also known as Influenza is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. It may appear similar to the common cold often is more severe. Considers winter and spring seasons to be associated with kapha dosha. Kapha has cold, wet, slimy, heavy hard, and sticky qualities that manifest mostly in the cold months.
Related: Ayurvedic treatment For Arthritis
The result is colds, flu, and coughs in addition to respiratory congestion. Ayurveda recommends a cleansing therapy known as Panchakarma to purify the body of toxins. A home cleansing procedure like homa is also advised before at times of change of seasons to support the body through these vulnerable times.
Symptoms of Flu
The symptoms of flu are fever, cough, sore throat, headache and muscle, and body ache. High fever is characteristic of flu with severe and prolonged coughing.
Related: Aswagandha Uses And Benefits
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Anxiety
The following Ayurvedic medicines are available across the counter for Flu:
Tribhuvan Kirti Ras: 1 to 2 tablets powdered and mixed with honey and taken 3 to 4 times a day.
Trishun Tablets: 1 tablet thrice a day with tea or warm water for 7 days is a sure remedy. It is a safe formulation.
Trikatu Churna: This is the powder form of Trishun. Taking ½ to 1 tsp with hot tea or hot water is effective in treating Flu.
Many home remedies are highly effective in combating flu. Porridge is made of rice boiled in a large quantity of water to which ginger powder, turmeric powder, and cumin seeds are added. Turmeric is an excellent antibiotic. A few cloves of garlic can be added as it can fight Flu.
Other Ayurvedic remedies include
- Hot water bath in which a few drops of Tea-tree and Eucalyptus oils are added works against Flu. The essential oils and steam work together to unblock stuffy sinuses and also to boost immunity.
- Essential oils like Eucalyptus, Tea-tree, Thyme, Peppermint, and Lavender are very effective in fighting against flu. Echinacea is another blood purifying herb that is also an antibiotic. It strengthens the immune system while fighting off influenza. Inhaling the steam of these essential oils is also recommended to deal with influenza.
- Herbal tea is advised for cleansing the sore throat. A blend of Cinnamon, Vanilla, and Berry is highly effective. A few drops of lemon juice and honey added to boiling water with a piece of ginger are an alternative remedy for Flu. Honey, has antibacterial properties and checks infection, and soothes the throat.
- Dry ginger and black pepper tea are good in controlling Flu.
- Tulsi leaves are also very effective.
- A concoction made of one teaspoonful of Stipaladi powder, Sudarshan, and a teaspoonful of honey can be taken many times a day to reduce the symptoms.
Related: Ayurvedic Remedies For Allergy
To Treat Severe Flu Symptoms
A mixture of one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder taken three times a day continuously for 3 days is highly effective in treating Flu.
Aconite Mustaka works well if there is irritability in the stomach. Aconitum, Balachatur Badraka, and Hiveradi are good herbs for fighting flu when it is accompanied by diarrhea.