Neck pain is one of the most common complaints that many faces in today’s daily life. This condition may lead to cervical spondylosis. The pain can result from injury or from wrong sitting and sleeping postures. The acute condition may be due to a muscular problem or a bulge of a nerve in the vertebrae. Neck pain is seen more in women than men. If this is old from the last 3 months, it should be considered chronic. If it occurs suddenly and the pain is intense, it is known as muscular rheumatism. It can be mild discomfort or intense pain with a burning sensation.
Related: Ayurveda And Sound Sleep
Ayurvedic Treatment For Chronic Neck pain
Ayurveda is the ancient Indian medical system that describes ways to improve the quality of life by addressing the problems of both the body and mind through natural means. The treatment of Ayurveda is based on the patient’s body constitution, the season, and the environmental factors. Herbal medicines, diet and lifestyle adjustments, and yoga and meditation are recommended for correcting the body’s imbalances and boosting immunity.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Malaria
Related: Ayurvedic Cure Hepatitis
Symptoms Of Neck Pain
The pain starts in the neck along with stiffness. The pain then radiates to the shoulders, arms and may move up to the head accompanied by headache. The neck muscles turn tense and may feel hard. There may be abnormal neck posture followed by a tingling or prickly sensation in the arms or fingers.
Related: Ayurvedic Cure For Chicken Pox
Causes of Neck Pain
The main cause is sitting in a position for long hours, wrong postures of sitting, working, and sleeping. Injuries to the neck may also cause neck pain. Trauma and Worry may be the other causes. Muscular problems may also cause neck pain. Nerve getting trapped between the vertebrae can also cause neck pain. Traveling continuously and strenuous work can be other causes.
Related: Ayurveda For Chikungunya
Related: Muscle Relaxants In Ayurveda
Ayurvedic Cure for Neck Pain
- Ayurvedic oil massage is given for relieving muscular pain. A gentle massage of the neck muscles and shoulder joints is effective in the treatment of neck pain. Mahanarayan tail is the medicated oil used for this purpose. One should give this gentle massage 2-3 times a day.
- Hot fomentation should be given to the neck and shoulders.
- Diet management is advised to keep the weight under control.
- Exercises (particularly for the neck) like yoga for relieving the stress of the neck muscles and strengthen them
- Rejuvenation therapies are given to improve blood circulation and to boost immunity
- Mild pain is normally cured through relaxation
- The herb Simhanada Guggulu should be given in a dose of 2 to4 tablets, 4 times a day.
Related: Ayurveda For Frigidity
Diet For Neck Pain
- Bitter vegetables such as bitter drumstick, bitter gourd, and neem flowers are very useful.
- Curd and sour foods should be avoided.