Chikungunya is also known as Chicken Guinea, which is a fever caused by a viral infection caused by an alphavirus that is spread by mosquitoes. A species of mosquitoes called ‘Ades’ is responsible for spreading the virus known as ‘Alphavirus’ that causes Chikungunya.
The Chikungunya virus is highly infective and the infection usually leads to fever with joint pain and disturbs the normal functioning of the human body. It can last from 3 to 14 days and the most likely victims of Chikungunya are children, pregnant women, and people under stress.
Ayurveda Approach for Treatment
Ayurveda is the ancient Indian medical science that has been in practice for over 5000 years. Ayurveda is considered the most effective treatment for chikungunya as there is no specific treatment in modern medicine. Ayurvedic massage works wonderfully in joint pain relief, which is not possible in modern medicine.
Related: Antiarrhythmic Drugs In Ayurveda
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Sunburn
Symptoms of Chikungunya
Chikungunya’s symptoms are high fever, severe headache, chills, fatigue, nausea, rash, vomiting, muscle pain, and joint pain. The most significant among these is the pain in the joints as they become swollen and cause extreme pain when touched
Chikungunya symptoms show up immediately after the viral infection. They are
- Fever with very high temperature
- Acute pain all over the body
- Severe pain in the joints accompanied by swelling
- Severe headache
- Rashes all over the body
- Loss of taste
Related: Muscle Relaxants In Ayurveda
Ayurveda Treatment for Chikungunya
In Ayurveda Chikungunya means Sandhijwara which means a fever of joints. The symptoms of Chikungunya and Sandhijwara are the same. In Ayurveda Chikungunya is considered to be the disorder of Vata Dosha. Ayurveda provides immediate and lifetime relief for this disease.
Related: Ayurveda For Warts
Related: Ayurvedic Remedy For Scabies
Ayurvedic Preparation to handle Chikungunya
The following Ayurvedic preparations are found to be very effective against the symptoms of chikungunya
- Sudharsan Churna – Two tablespoon of this Churna is to be taken per day to control the temperature and pain.
- Yogiraj Guggulu – Two tablets per day as it will lower the body temperature and help the body to fight against the virus.
- Medicines prescribed to pacify the fever are Amritarishta, Vilvadi gulika (tablets), and Sudarsanam Gulika (tablets).
- The following treatments are beneficial in alleviating the pain in the joints of limbs:
- Punarnavasana is prescribed for internal use and pressing small warmed cloth bags bundled with rice bran to warm the joints.
- The Panchathikta Kashayam is highly effective in curing Chikungunya. It is a bitter drug that cures the disease completely.
Related: Ayurvedic Treatment For Stye
Ayurveda Herbs For Chikungunya
Ayurveda herbs such as the sacred Basil (Tulsi), raw carrot, and seedless dry grapes are recommended to be consumed by patients as they contain antiviral properties. They provide relief from the fever and pain. These natural herbs protect the body without any side effects.
Prevention Of Chickungunya
Below mentioned medicines are beneficial in preventing attacks of diseases.
- Inthukantham Kashaya and Vivaldi Gulika have properties to enhance the body’s immunity.
- Ayurveda suggests staying away from disease-causing conditions like impure air, water, and land.