Weather change brings with it different kinds of ailments, the most common being cold and flu. Cold and flu are viral infections, most communicable diseases, where even the antibiotics are not useful in curing this. People of all ages are vulnerable to this problem of viral cough and cold. But it can be cured by medicines for them. But children under the age of 6 are not given any types of medicines, because then they do not develop a natural immunity to fight with diseases.
For this, various home remedies for cough and cold in babies such as turmeric and garlic are very beneficiary. Alternatively, these are also used as home remedies for cough in toddlers. The home remedies for cough in toddlers should be used, if they have any of these symptoms: –
- Mildly running nose
- Mild cough
- Mild sore throat
- Stuffy or blocked nose
- Loss or decrease in appetite
However, before using any home remedies for cough and cold in babies, consult the pediatrician and also keep into consideration the age of your precious toddler. To treat cold in babies, it is first recommended that parents try to comfort them. Fever usually causes dehydration, because, during fevers, kids don’t feel like consuming water. But, it is advisable for the parents to look after it that the kids consume essential fluids, so that they don’t get extremely sick.
There are various signs and symptoms of dehydration too, like crying, but tears are not coming out, chapped lips, a gradual decrease in the activity and energy level of the baby. If the doctor advises, then you can also give an oral re-hydration solution to the child. And refrain from giving any kinds of sports drinks to the kids, as their body is not suitable for all this.
For older children, there are more options for hydration, such as-
- Sports drinks
- Fruit and juices
- Plain soda
- If the baby is above 1 year of age, then honey is also preferred
- Making your baby rest more and avoiding going to school.
13 essential home remedies to cure cough and cold in babies and kids: –
Home remedies for cough and cold in babies or home remedies for cough in toddlers are very beneficial for them, as they safe, gentle, and effective ways to help the baby feel better and relieved. Some of the essential home remedies are: –
1) Breast milk- Breast milk is filled with all types of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. And antibodies too. This makes the body more immune to all kinds of germs and viruses. It makes the body immune to the flu virus and cold as well. Not just this, breast milk also restores hydration back in babies. Hence, this is one of the natural remedies for flu in infants. This can be fed to babies under 6 months of age, as there are no other medication options apart from this. And it is recommended to the mothers not to drink enough caffeine, as it can affect the baby’s sleep.
2) Garlic and ajwain pouch- Garlic and ajwain contain great natural components and are a very powerful cure for cough and cold, as they contain antibacterial and antiviral properties. This is one of the best natural home remedies for cough and cold in babies. These two agents can be prepared in any way, but in such a way that it doesn’t harm the baby.
3) Panikoora- This plant is found in the southern part of India. It relieves the cold and cough of the infant instantly, as it helps to secrete sputum from the infant’s air pipe.
4) Mustard oil mixed with garlic and carom seeds– All these ingredients are known especially for their antibacterial and healing properties. These three when mixed together, can be used to massage the children below 2 years age in the baby’ chest. You can also massage the baby’s feet with this.
5) Kesar tilak– Kesar is also used widely as home remedies for cough in toddlers. If you make a paste of saffron and apply it on your baby’s forehead and at the bottom of the feet, then it will help in absorbing the water from the baby’s forehead and provide instant relief.
6) Turmeric milk– Due to its antiseptic properties, turmeric is known to treat viral infections in a go. By adding some crushed turmeric into a glass of warm milk and giving it to your child can prove to be effective.
7) Carrot juice- Not only does carrot contain vitamin A, but it also contains nutrients and vitamins that help to boost the immune system.
8) Saline drops- Nasal congestion is quite irritating and unbearable, and for babies, it may be more. Thus, nasal or saline drops can provide quick relief, and will also be a safe option to provide relief to your toddler from congestion.
9) Humidifier- Using a humidifier will absorb all the germs and cure cough by moistening the dry air.
10) Lemon water mixed with honey- Vitamin C, found in citrus fruits are very effective in all ways. Especially lemon, which is infused with vitamin C is effective in fighting the cold. Thus, lemon mixed with honey is the go-to option.
11) Gargling- Gargling is the ultimate and the easiest option when it comes to curing cough and cold. Gargling with salt warm water can help in providing relief, as it helps to break down the mucus and reduce swelling.
12) Steam- While coughing and flu, the child may develop difficulties in breathing. Thus, making your child inhale from a bowl of hot water for at least 10 to 15 minutes will help soothe your child’s immune and breathing system.
13) Massaging- This is another baby massaging option which is meant to surely provide you some relief. Just mix mustard oil with some rock salt and apply it on the baby’s chest and the back and then cover with a cotton cloth to give warm.
Therefore, the remedies mentioned above will surely a relief to your little one when they are experiencing excessive cold.